Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,566   Online: 889

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The APUG photo challenge - anyone up to it?

Hi all

I was pondering the other day that I often produce my best work when given a brief or a project, whereas when an idea is self-imposed, I tend to just float around it and not really knuckle down. So I got to thinking, how about setting up an APUG photographic challenge thread?

It would work like this. A member goes onto the thread, and simply says, 'Tell me what to take a picture of.' The first idea to be posted by another member is the one that has to be fulfilled.

The suggestions can be anything at all, but here are some thoughts:
    Interpret a line from a poem, film, book etc
    Compose a still life using kitchen utensils
    Get out of bed at 4am and catch the sunrise
    Take a portrait of someone, but without showing their face

The list could go on and on.

The themes can be as open or as specific as you like, within reason - obviously there wouldn't be much point in telling me to photograph a tree in Yosemite, unless the person setting the challenge was willing to pay my air fare and accommodation...

The resulting photograph (or photographs - no reason why there has to be just one) could then be uploaded onto APUG for feedback - perhaps Sean might even create a specific gallery for it.

With a bit of luck, it might work! And it could be a great opportunity to break out of our usual styles and try something completely different.

So, I'm going to get the ball rolling...

Someone tell me what to take a picture of!

Ailsa
    Last edited by Sean; 06-10-2004 at 01:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ailsa
    Nice idea - but at 4am I'm so dizzy I can't even find the viewfinder...(-:
    What about photos in a cold, cloudy, rainy day?

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    okay ailsa, how about a person writing a poem about kitchen utensils at 4 a.m. ;-)

great idea, actually. although i think comments would be appropriate, it would be nice to avoid the rating and competitive mentality that is so prevalent on other forums. were that avoided, i for one think such a project would very likely be fun.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jovo, that's not a bad idea for the first topic, but how about a little more broad.

Ailsa, how about "the kitchen." Take this as specific or as broad as you like.

I will also do a shot with "the kitchen" as the title and we can both post our results
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    Jovo, that's not a bad idea for the first topic, but how about a little more broad.

Ailsa, how about "the kitchen." Take this as specific or as broad as you like.

I will also do a shot with "the kitchen" as the title and we can both post our results
    OK Jeremy, you're on. But, not having seen the state of my kitchen, are you SURE you know what you're letting yourself in for...?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "'It smelled so bad, and I was thinking, "What am I getting myself into? I don't want to be here!"'

That's so weird ...my kitchen is EXACTLY the same! And I thought it was just me.

Interesting Idea, Ailsa. Could be fun (sez the guy who has NO idea how to upload a photo).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the idea of suggesting broad themes and then seeing how people interpret that. Many years ago American Photographer (when it was a cool mag), had an assignment section where they would post a broad topic and then select 4 or 5 submissions and print them in the next issue. For example one 1989 issue has an assignment titled "Big". It had an image of someone with the hugest beer gut I have ever seen, the worlds largest cast iron skillet and a giant apple. They usually printed the more whimsical intrepretations but the idea is to be broad in scope and enjoy the diverse approaches.

So a theme like kitchen could include everything from utensil still lifes to a picture of the family around the dinner table, to kids playing in the sink, to a sterno can on a counter top.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok lets do it. No more talk, just get out your cameras and do a "kitchen" picture. Lets say the deadline is next Wednesday evening.

Sean buddy we need a special gallery. Call it "Ailsa's Whimsy". Whether she likes it or not she is now the chief poo-bah of this really cool photographic adventure.

Ummmm now if I could find a gal that is preggers ........
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134

So a theme like kitchen could include everything from utensil still lifes to a picture of the family around the dinner table, to kids playing in the sink, to a sterno can on a counter top.
    Jim, shhhh! You're giving out my idea (though you can pick from the above which one it was)

This reminds me of the "assignments" that usefilm.com has, but here it's just fun and there aren't any ratings or winner... and no digital wunderkrap (not that all digital is bad, but most of what I see is horrible misapplication of photoshop, it's like when people discover special effects filters for their lenses and overdo it for EVERYTHING!)
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds Awesome

I will 'sticky' this thread and get a dedicated gallery page for this..

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin