Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,998   Posts: 1,524,309   Online: 850

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151620 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here are a few more shots from my adventure. This is another view of Buttermilk falls from above:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is the top of the slope. This is the area where John and I must have taken separate paths. I wasn't able to imagine the dogs pulling John up to the top via this route

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Buttermilk Falls was partially illuminated by about 9:00 AM. Full lighting like this http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls...milkCUVA.shtml must be earlier or later, I am not sure. Lee L. this is more your area of expertise. When do you think the lighting would cover the whole fall? The water is falling east.

John
    John,

Missed that part of your post on first reading. I'm not really sure, but I'll see what I can come up with.

What time was icracer's shot taken?

Lee L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You may, or may not want to bring your chainsaw to the falls . Looks like there is a big tree that has fallen down the falls.

Cool! No chainsaw required! Thanks for the visual updates, Dale.

Sounds like Lee L and I are going to do the Sunday morning thing - very early - before the lights starts pouring down through the trees. We'll be sure to get a time together for anyone interested in joining us. It's easy to get to the parking lot so if someone wants to come before 10 o'clock coffee but not as early as us we should be able to meet up easily enough. I'll bring my cell just in case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is another place of interest. The old paper mill. Just down the road from the falls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that paper mill on Boston Mill Rd, Dale?
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 05-06-2010 at 11:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

What time was icracer's shot taken?

Lee L
    That shot was taken in the afternoon. Probably between 2 and 4 pm last week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Is that paper mill on Boston Mill Rd, Dale?
    It is actually a little farther north on River Road, then off Vaughn. I was thinking it was near the Boston Mills ski slope, but it is near Brandywine (though now renamed to Boston Mills).

Anyway here is the view. Looks like the complete building was still standing when this shot was taken. Now just the old machine remains.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post

What's an M8? Is it like half an M16? Or 2 M3's plus an M2?

Lee
    ItZa M2 Cubed

L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's what I could come up with.

This is with The Photographer's Ephemeris, an Adobe Air application. It uses google maps with astronomical algorithms to draw sunset/rise and moonset/rise lines and calculate times.

Location of Buttermilk Falls is taken from the Great Lakes region waterfall web page referenced by John. 41.2628N 81.5673W You can just cut and paste that location into google maps to find it.

Thick yellow = direction to sunrise 6:06 on Sunday May 16 at Buttermilk Falls
    Thick orange = direction to sunset 20:38 on Sunday May 16 at Buttermilk Falls
    Light blue = direction to moonrise
    Dark blue = direction to moonset
    Thin yellow = direction to sun at 8:01 am on Sunday May 16 at Buttermilk Falls
    at 8:01 am the sun will be at azimuth 81.3 degrees and 19.6 degrees above a level horizon

Since I haven't been to the falls, I can't tell exactly which direction it faces although downstream is generally east, and you can't tell from the map how the tree cover is for the falls.

So even with reasonably good info and computer simulation, we'll just have to go there and find out for ourselves. How quaint ... and analog.

Lee L
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buttermilk4.png  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin