Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,465   Online: 1190

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    So even with reasonably good info and computer simulation, we'll just have to go there and find out for ourselves. How quaint ... and analog.

Lee L
    LOL! Let's do it.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The tree Dale photographed, that is laying down the length of Buttermilk Falls, came down in a big storm last year. It had been growing maybe 50 feet above the falls on a possibly 60-70 degree slope. I took the Hiking Hounds group down there just after the storm unaware this tree had fallen. I had told them we would be hiking up the slope, meaning the trail I described earlier. That massive tree tore a trail in the slope as it came down and the HH group thought that was what I expected them to climb. Anguish.

If all of us want to go to the falls at different times Sunday morning, let’s cancel the 10:00 AM coffee meeting at our house, all go to the falls at times they are comfortable with, and then go to the Richfield Family Restaurant across from the Hampton Inn for brunch. The restaurant is maybe a mile west of the parking lot we will be using for the falls hike. We will look at maps Saturday when we meet for dinner and be sure every one knows the way or is comfortable with other plans if they don't feel like the hike.

By the way the HH group schedules all their hikes to meet in the “Barking Lot” at the individual trail heads.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of computers and Google Map, I did something a little different today. I had found an interesting area by scanning the Google Map of the region. I found this unusual erosion and set out to photograph it. It did turn out to be a natural formation. The depth of the grooves and the steepness are not appreciated in the aerial photograph. Probably worth another trip with a bigger camera next time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Cool! No chainsaw required! Thanks for the visual updates, Dale.

Sounds like Lee L and I are going to do the Sunday morning thing - very early - before the lights starts pouring down through the trees. We'll be sure to get a time together for anyone interested in joining us. It's easy to get to the parking lot so if someone wants to come before 10 o'clock coffee but not as early as us we should be able to meet up easily enough. I'll bring my cell just in case.
    If you can stand another Lee on the early morning journey, I'm a very early riser but have no idea about the area up there

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee,

We are talking about a Sunday morning venture. When you meet the group at our house earlier I will have a paper map of the whole park for you. We can mark the parking lot for Blue Hen Falls and the Richfield family Restaurant on it.

In advance of that you can use the Google Maps that Lee Lumpkin has put together. http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places Scroll down to the fourth map, Blue Hen Falls.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking that we'd probably need one more Lee for the early round! Anyone know another Shawn who shoots film? Couldn't hurt to have a back up... =)

As John said, I'm sure we'll get everything figured out on Saturday. Definitely check out the link he posted. Lee (the other Lee) did a fine job putting it together. Looking forward to meeting you!
    Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Lee,

In advance of that you can use the Google Maps that Lee Lumpkin has put together. http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home/places Scroll down to the fourth map, Blue Hen Falls.

John
    Just updated the maps. Icons on the Blue Hen Falls parking lot and falls, and you can now pan the map a bit to the NE to see where Buttermilk Falls is. Falls icons are pink P&S cameras, but be assured they are film P&S cameras.

Also changed the Sylvan Lake map for the better. It didn't pick up the parking lot or lake icons before.

Google now allows full browser width maps on Google Sites. So that's why those maps are wider.

Lee L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I had found an interesting area by scanning the Google Map of the region. [Lock 39]
    It's an EPA superfund site. I have no idea what's there - old gravel pit or someplace they buried radium from the Harshaw plant. There isn't much (any) information on it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    somehow I missed 5 pages of this thread. Last update I got was from page 6. oh my! I just found out my Jeep needs about $1000 of work for inspection by the end of the month and last year my tent leaked. Is anyone else camping? As always it will be iffy as to whether I make it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    last year my tent leaked.
    I can lend you tent if you like - it is a big one, so if it leaks you can always find a dry spot somewhere.

Oh, yes. It looks like I will be in California in June rather than May, so I should be able to make this spring's - oh, what's the word I'm looking for - ado, agitation, ballyhoo, bedlam, big scene, brouhaha, bustle, clatter, combustion, confusion, convulsion, dither, excitement, ferment, fermentation, flap, flurry, furor, fuss, hell broke loose, hubbub, hurly-burly, insurgence, insurrection, lather, mutiny, outcry, pandemonium, perturbation, pother, racket, rebellion, revolt, riot, rumpus, stew, stir, to-do, tumult, turbulence, upheaval, uprising, upset, upturn, vexation, welter, whirl - hmmm, none seem to fit, but they'll all do.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin