Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,675   Online: 986

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'd commit to coming but it seems lately that I vacillate about or completely jinx the whole affair. OK if I just show up unannounced?...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi All,

John suggested I introduce myself as I plan to attend the gathering.

A short bio of me is, I'm old, well not that old, but studied the zone system under Arnold Gassen at Ohio University in my hippy days in the 70’s. I was taught my basics by my grandfather and father as a kid, sitting on a stool in the dark bathroom telling them when every 30 seconds went by from a luminous pocket watch. Had no idea why or what I was doing but remember being too scared to try to get off that high stool in the dark. 30 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds.

Presently I like to shoot my 6X6 second hand Hassy, have a 40 C T*, 80 CF and 150 CF for it. I just recently sold my Mamiya 1000S with 55, 80 and 150, having two systems just was eating my lunch. Dad taught me on his Leica IIIF so I have an M2 with Leitz, Zeiss and CV lenses. A Leica Flex SL, an R4Mot too. My loving wife put an M8.2 into my hands on our 1st wedding anniversary. I have a Tachihara 4x5 but I have very little trigger time on it. I used to work for a studio and did food photography and table top catalog things but just haven’t had the free time to shoot a lot with it so the camera is pristine but my brain is rusty.

The pay check comes from the Air Force (civilian) and I teach video production at Sinclair College as an adjunct. Sue, my bride runs her own business called Kettering Glass, has since she got out of high school.

Sue and I have been married about a year and a half; she is a gem and a keeper! She is a bird watcher, author and guide. She will be at Margie Marsh (?) outside Toledo on this May weekend for the returning migration to Canada. She is really something when it comes to identifying any species of birds, their lives, migration and such. We love to be outside but I am not a great wildlife photographer (yet). I do have access to big glass like 300, 500 and 800mm Nikon lenses but here again, not enough trigger time to be an expert.

So, you get.03 cents back for your nickel tour of my life. I look forward to meeting all of you.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    She will be at Margie Marsh (?) outside Toledo on this May weekend for the returning migration to Canada. She is really something when it comes to identifying any species of birds, their lives, migration and such.

Lee
    Magee Marsh. Great place for spring warblers, and I've seen a Great Horned Owl with young there just a few feet off the boardwalk.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Puts me in a good mood just seeing this thread pop up every so often! Can't wait to get back... and maybe check out the "harder to get to" fall down from Blue Hen you were telling us about, John? If anyone is interested in making the trek with me!

And of course if you decide to do some shooting of your own during this round, John, my offer of carrying each others packs is still good.

Shawn
    Shawn,

As usual, most generous of you. The hike to Buttermilk Falls is only about a mile one way from the Blue Hen parking lot. Parts of it are very narrow along the edge of the high banks of the stream and have fallen away. The park has put up a sign at Blue Hen saying that the trail ends there. The girls and I will happily walk there but thanks I donít want to be responsible for your gear. Our Hiking Hounds group went four miles last Sunday at a different place. I caught a stick between my feet. Those beside me said it was a very impressive roll for a 70 year old. Nothing was broken.

Last time I was at Butter Milk Falls one of the Hiking Hounds dogs tried to climb the falls. A large tree had fallen over the falls. That was an interesting shot, but not nearly as interesting as when itís master tried to follow it. It is a lovely place. It might make a very interesting picture for anyone wanting to go.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I'd commit to coming but it seems lately that I vacillate about or completely jinx the whole affair. OK if I just show up unannounced?...Evan Clarke
    Well sure Evan except I wonít send you the address/directions unless you commit, send contact and emergency contact information. Just suck it up, grab that gorgeous new 11x14, grab your buddy from our gallery prowl in Louisville, hop in that great 4 Runner and come on over. No whining, sniveling or pussy footing allowed, just come on down and have a good time.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Lee Gephart for the introduction. I think you and Lee Lumpkin will have a lot to talk about and enjoy. Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hey, where is Dorothy? Anyone heard from her? I dropped her an email. D O R O T H Y ! !

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First of all I'm glad you're alright!

Secondly, I think you should start having Dolly videotape your walks for, um, posterity. =)

Thirdly, the offer is good anywhere - not just Buttermilk.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Our Hiking Hounds group went four miles last Sunday at a different place. I caught a stick between my feet. Those beside me said it was a very impressive roll for a 70 year old. Nothing was broken.

Last time I was at Butter Milk Falls one of the Hiking Hounds dogs tried to climb the falls. A large tree had fallen over the falls. That was an interesting shot, but not nearly as interesting as when itís master tried to follow it.
    John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Count me in, John. I'll send my info by PM

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    First of all I'm glad you're alright!

Secondly, I think you should start having Dolly videotape your walks for, um, posterity. =)

Thirdly, the offer is good anywhere - not just Buttermilk.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn. I really wish Dolly could make those long walks. 1/2 mile is tops for her. Secondly, I was told that my posterior flew so high that Dolly isn't tall enough to photograph it even if she were there. Thirdly I appreciate it. I am not much of a multi tasker. I really like to photograph. I really like to make sure my friends are safe and having a good time. I get horribly confused trying to do both. Maybe some time one on one.

Thanks. It is a most generous offer.

John

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin