Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,833   Online: 1168

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Another thought on the waterfalls regarding lighting. The stream that feeds Blue Hen then Buttermilk flows east. The falls will be bright in the morning and in deep shadow in the afternoon. The stream that feeds Brandywine Falls flows west. Since Brandywine is much higher than the other two the effect of shadow will be greater. There is a ranger that leads a walk to all three and back in a day. I think it is about nine miles and quite an elevation change because both streams flow down to the Cuyahoga River. The girls said they wouldn't pull me on that one until I lose about 100 pounds.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Magee Marsh. Great place for spring warblers, and I've seen a Great Horned Owl with young there just a few feet off the boardwalk.

Lee
    Yes, It is a great place to spot birds this time of year. Mother's Day is usually the best. I keep trying to get my wife to list it as a summer home for a tax deduction, being today is April 15th, since she spends so much time there.

Just got a "Better Beemer" for my flash to use with the 300mm lens to do some bird photography up there too. All the shooters up there use them and they really work.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Just got a "Better Beemer" for my flash to use with the 300mm lens to do some bird photography up there too. All the shooters up there use them and they really work.

Lee
    I have an overhead projector Fresnel and a few smaller plastic flat sheet magnifiers (Fresnel) that I keep meaning to test for that application. Nothing done yet though.

The brushy area around the boardwalk up at Magee is too dark or contrasty much of the time to work without main or fill flash, so I can see why they use the Beemers. Does the flash disturb the birds?

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I have an overhead projector Fresnel and a few smaller plastic flat sheet magnifiers (Fresnel) that I keep meaning to test for that application. Nothing done yet though.

The brushy area around the boardwalk up at Magee is too dark or contrasty much of the time to work without main or fill flash, so I can see why they use the Beemers. Does the flash disturb the birds?

Lee
    HMMM, that might explain why they dooh on me everytime I take their picture. I asked Sue about that and she told me that she believes like lightning it will get their attention, but only in motor drive mode does she think it is disturbing, flee from what you do not understand. You can always subject it to the doody test, just do not feed them first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    As many of you know Dolly teaches First grade. We have regular visitors to our gatherings, Jeff & Eva Bannow.

Dolly came home from work tonight and said that just before the children left to go home a little boy came up to her and said, “Mrs. Powers, I just accidentally stuffed flowers in Eva’s mouth.” Jeff, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES PICK UP ANY ROSES.

John
    :o

That's a good excuse - should save me a bundle at the florist.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just returned from Shoot the Hills (www.shootthehills.com) a digital competition at the Hocking Hills in SE Ohio. A real fun time, you have 24 hours to shoot things in 5 categories in the four counties that are known as Hocking Hills. I hope you really have a chance to check it out... Yes they evolved from film into digital but it is really a good time.

Sue and I had my son and his wife there and shared a cabin. Next year we plan to rent a house that will sleep 8 that we identified. I think we did 8 miles in rain and sunshine across the 24 hours. Just had a blast and a HUGE campfire. We had to keep moving back it was so hot.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great Lee,

My sister used to live in Columbus, would take husband, two sons and a turkey dinner to one of those cottages for Thanksgiving. Many happy stories.

Looking forward to having you here. Love the enthusiasm.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    so I was depressed & bought a new film camera - arrives tomorrow. ITS A HOLGA! Thought I could get out of the technical madness. Anybody in our group use one? It's a 120N. I heard 400 ISO to start with. ???

Sorry John for hijackn this thread, but it's more fun talking to people you know than strangers on different forums.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    so I was depressed & bought a new film camera - arrives tomorrow. ITS A HOLGA! Thought I could get out of the technical madness. Anybody in our group use one? It's a 120N. I heard 400 ISO to start with. ???

Sorry John for hijackn this thread, but it's more fun talking to people you know than strangers on different forums.
    Very cool. I think of Nancy Rexroth's work when I see Holga photographs (though she used the 70s Diana). I suspect the Holga's lens is just as good (or bad )

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post

Hijack on Dorothy. It is all about us enjoying this hobby-art-photography thing together. Last year one of my fellow students had a panoramic Holga that took pretty good landscapes. Enjoy.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin