Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,042   Online: 1010

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In the interest of quality assurance Dolly and I went to the Country Maid this evening to be sure the home made ice cream was up to the standard our attendees have grown to expect. Shawn, I think it will be safe to take you there this time as the introduction you missed last year. For those not with us this event, Jeff, you will be pleased to know the Country Maid now has a website with map, hours, directions and (can you take this Jeff?) FLAVORS.
    http://countrymaidicecream.com/flavors.htm

See you soon.

John & Dolly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss View Post
    so I was depressed & bought a new film camera - arrives tomorrow. ITS A HOLGA! Thought I could get out of the technical madness. Anybody in our group use one? It's a 120N. I heard 400 ISO to start with. ???

Sorry John for hijackn this thread, but it's more fun talking to people you know than strangers on different forums.
    I have 2 - one's an original that I bought new for $16 several years ago. The other is the one with the colored flashes (haven't finished the first roll in it, yet). 400 is a good way to go. I tend to use expired film that I wouldn't trust for "good" shots.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Jeff, you will be pleased to know the Country Maid now has a website with map, hours, directions and (can you take this Jeff?) FLAVORS.
    http://countrymaidicecream.com/flavors.htm
    I looked all over and couldn't find the delivery options!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never had a Holga, but at Ohio Univ we had to use a Diana F to set everyone equal in the 101 to 115 level photos courses. The light leaks alone drove me crazy. My dad had a 6x6 Rolli and a filter retaining ring for it and he let me take it to OU for 3 terms. I picked up a glass cutter from a hardware store and would pick up odd pieces of glass and cut filters for the TLR. Had some amazing images from all kinds of glass. Would hand them in on my class Diana F assignments but would never show anyone my contact sheets because there were no light leaks from the TLR camera and they would probably boot me out as a photo major for trying to be inventive.

I have seen many people using the Holgas now and I have to wonder about getting into glass collecting again for my future Diana F / Holga wantabees images. I think I just talked myself into this.

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Holy cow! peppermint stick ice cream, can't get it anywhere in Milwaukee...EC

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    Never had a Holga, but at Ohio Univ we had to use a Diana F to set everyone equal in the 101 to 115 level photos courses. The light leaks alone drove me crazy. My dad had a 6x6 Rolli and a filter retaining ring for it and he let me take it to OU for 3 terms. I picked up a glass cutter from a hardware store and would pick up odd pieces of glass and cut filters for the TLR. Had some amazing images from all kinds of glass. Would hand them in on my class Diana F assignments but would never show anyone my contact sheets because there were no light leaks from the TLR camera and they would probably boot me out as a photo major for trying to be inventive.

I have seen many people using the Holgas now and I have to wonder about getting into glass collecting again for my future Diana F / Holga wantabees images. I think I just talked myself into this.

Lee
    Lee,

I am looking forward to meeting you. We have a group of very imaginative people, each one bringing interesting ideas and interesting connections. The make up and resulting output evolves with each gathering as does the membership. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we will enjoy the conversations and work.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Holy cow! peppermint stick ice cream, can't get it anywhere in Milwaukee...EC
    The Ohio and Indiana Turnpikes offer a salivating solution to that problem. I hope we will not run out of napkins.

Getting here from the west isn’t too bad a chore either. The South Bend Chocolate Company has three stores on the Indiana Turnpike. http://www.sbchocolate.com/locations.html

Oooppps, I keep forgetting that this is a photography forum.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Beyond Blue Hen Falls....
    I finally made the trek downstream past Blue Hen Falls. I got to the second falls and they are right about at the service area for the ski slopes. It is located in the gully between the two slopes. I wanted to get up to the top of the slopes and did manage that also. However, it is very steep behind the slopes and I had to make my own path.

At one point I thought "boy I'm deep in the woods and the terrain is tough here" but then a young couple with a fluff 'house dog' ambled by...

I guess it always seems more exciting when alone and on a trail for the first time.

After all the climbing I made my "ice cream" stop at Rosati's Frozen Custard in Macedonia.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Beyond Blue Hen Falls....
    I finally made the trek downstream past Blue Hen Falls. I got to the second falls and they are right about at the service area for the ski slopes. It is located in the gully between the two slopes. I wanted to get up to the top of the slopes and did manage that also. However, it is very steep behind the slopes and I had to make my own path.

At one point I thought "boy I'm deep in the woods and the terrain is tough here" but then a young couple with a fluff 'house dog' ambled by...

I guess it always seems more exciting when alone and on a trail for the first time.

After all the climbing I made my "ice cream" stop at Rosati's Frozen Custard in Macedonia.
    Dale,

Just before you cross the stream to get to the top of Buttermilk Falls there is a trail that goes up to the top that may be easier than the one you made. At the start it appears to be going back west, but it bends around to the north and comes out at a jeep or tractor trail just above the top of the ski lift. This is the trail I mentioned in an earlier post where I take the yellow escalator. It is gorgeous above, around and below Buttermilk Falls. All the Hiking Hounds people pull out their cell phones and go, "oooh aaaah." I groan.

If there is interest from the rest of the gathering we could have a group hike to both falls either day. Again because both falls pour to the east I would suggest the light would be better for a morning hike. Savannah and Cindy will be happy to lead the way. Be aware when deciding what gear to take that it is rough terrain and a lot steeper coming back.

Oh my gosh, Rosati's also has an on-line menu. http://www.rosatisfrozencustard.com/our_menu.htm

John
    Last edited by jp80874; 05-01-2010 at 08:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Oh my gosh, Rosati's also has an on-line menu.
    Ooohhh ... Chocolate Raspberry Royale ...
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin