Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,765   Online: 1065

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Ooohhh ... Chocolate Raspberry Royale ...
    Gosh, I sure hope these places will still be in business when you and Eva come for the next event.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Cuyahoga Valley National Park
    Countryside Farmers’ Market at Howe Meadow

(4 miles from our house)

Saturdays, May 15 through October 30
    9 a.m. – noon

A good place for street photography,
    Flowers, fruit, meat and vegetables from local farms.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Gosh, I sure hope these places will still be in business when you and Eva come for the next event.

John
    Me too!

That farmer's market had some pretty tasty food when we went last year as well.

- Jeff
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    Dale,

Just before you cross the stream to get to the top of Buttermilk Falls there is a trail that goes up to the top that may be easier than the one you made. At the start it appears to be going back west, but it bends around to the north and comes out at a jeep or tractor trail just above the top of the ski lift....
    John
    OK, that would make it a lot easier. I eventually wound up on a high, narrow divide with Boston Mills Road down on one side and the creek on the other side. It was pretty steep on each side. It connected the back of the ski slope to the big cellphone tower.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daleeman View Post
    My dad had a 6x6 Rolli ... Would hand them in on my class Diana F assignments ...
    Gee, I had the same experience. We had to duplicate the 'look' of a daguerreotype for a sophomore(ic) class . Prof said we couldn't use MF, implying we were to use 35mm. He didn't say anything about making contact prints from 4x5 LF negatives, though. The prints were judged on the basis of how much detail they captured. The students in class were sure I was using MF and so accused me but I swore up and down, very convincingly (as one can do when telling the truth...), that I didn't use medium format. Instead I lied, and mumbled things about High Contrast Copy and H&W control developer - for even more brownie points.

As to the get-together. At this time it looks like I will be in cloudy, cold and miserable Northern California that weekend. If things change, I will certainly be at John's with the rest of you. If not, I'll say hello to Pt. Lobos, Muir Beach and the Yosemite dogwoods for you, though I will be wishing I was back in Cleveland.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    OK, that would make it a lot easier. I eventually wound up on a high, narrow divide with Boston Mills Road down on one side and the creek on the other side. It was pretty steep on each side. It connected the back of the ski slope to the big cellphone tower.
    Not sure, but I think we may be talking about different sides of the creek. The path I mentioned goes up first NW, then N from the creek. If I understand you, I believe you went south from the creek. If so, obviously we arrived at different places. Both might be very interesting, if not strenuous to explore.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    As to the get-together. At this time it looks like I will be in cloudy, cold and miserable Northern California that weekend. If things change, I will certainly be at John's with the rest of you. If not, I'll say hello to Pt. Lobos, Muir Beach and the Yosemite dogwoods for you, though I will be wishing I was back in Cleveland.
    Thanks for letting us know what is happening for you. I for one would happily go along to see those wonderful places. A safe trip and takes lots of pictures to share next time.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a darkroom setup for sale on the Cleveland Craigslist that's just north of our meeting area. Omega D series and C700 enlargers with trays, drums, roller base, several timers, grain focuser, color analyzer, etc. $125 for the lot.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pho/1688814000.html

Not an endorsement, just a heads up for those traveling here who might want to look into it or are looking for a good price on a 4x5 enlarger (with lots of other stuff thrown in).

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The girls and I decided to hike the two water falls (Blue Hen and Buttermilk) this morning just to see how the trail was and what was the potential for photographs? Locally the dogwoods are beautifully in bloom, but down by the waterfalls it was too early and cool for the blooms. We arrived at Blue Hen just after 8:30 AM.

Here is a link to Blue Hen at various seasons. http://www.nps.gov/cuva/photosmultim...9&root_aId=385

Today the water flow was most like the spring image. http://www.nps.gov/mwr/customcf/apps...id=385&gid=385

By arriving by 8:30 AM the sun was still low enough that the dark area below the top of the fall, but above the landing of the water, was nicely illuminated. There would have been detail in a photograph that probably would have been lost in darkness if photographed at the time of the second link.

There is a sign that says “Blue Hen Falls, Trail ends.” We went on to Buttermilk Falls, about a mile further down stream. Since the trail is closed, a lot of trees have fallen and not been removed. The trail is still very obvious; you just have to walk around a few obstacles. You have to cross the stream three times to follow the closed trail. You can usually find rocks to step on. Wear boots or shoes that will hold wet, slimy stone. I would suggest against tennis shoes because there are so many rocks and roots you would not have the support and protection my feet need. If you slip in the water, water proof is nice, but for most boots it is only up to the lace holes. The water was quite cool this morning.

Buttermilk Falls was partially illuminated by about 9:00 AM. Full lighting like this http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls...milkCUVA.shtml must be earlier or later, I am not sure. Lee L. this is more your area of expertise. When do you think the lighting would cover the whole fall? The water is falling east.

We got back to Blue Hen about 9:30 AM and the fill light mentioned above was gone. We had a wonderful walk. The girls were wet and muddy. One of my socks was wet, but it was a great a beautiful walk that I hope you will enjoy. I am showered and dry now. The girls are damp but asleep. Savannah, the 12 year old is groaning in her sleep.

Come on down and visit.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Two messages copied from the Mid West LF Asylum

I'm looking forward to checking out Ohio. I'm not sure when I'll get there Friday-the weather forecast will probably determine if I'm going to try and get up super early and get through Chicago before morning rush hour, or if I'll sleep in and try Chicago mid-morning. I'll probably drive around and scope out Cuyahoga a little then drop in Friday night to say hi and see if anyone has any dawn shooting plans and wants company.

Colleen

Colleen,

Glad to read that you are coming. If you are going to prowl around the park a bit first, take a look at this page for over all and specific maps of the many features of the park. http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    We will have a paper handout map for you when you get here, but they are also in wooden boxes at just about every trail head. That is where I grab them to give out.

I just noticed the park link I gave at the start of this thread is no longer functioning. The http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/ page is a good starting place.

Lee, Dorothy and Shawn are the usual dawn shooters and can show or tell you about some of the places they have been before. The girls and I are usually out hiking by 8:30 AM and can tell you what we like.

It is a long ride, 360 miles from here to O’Hare. Don’t be surprised if it feels like a nap when you get here. It always has for me in the thirty years I have driven to Chicago, but Dolly thinks the Mennonite pork chops, gravy and mashed potatoes mid Indiana may have something to do with it.

Let me know if you have any information requests. We usually gather about 5 PM, talk, show prints, go somewhere for dinner and come back to the house.

John

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin