Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,919   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

NE OH Gathering May 14-16, 2010

It is warm, sunny and breezy in North East Ohio today and an old manís fancy turns to seeing friends, shooting film, gathering together to see winterís work, climbing ledges, walking the OH & Erie Canal and having group fun at a gathering of like minded friends and hopefully new faces.

My wife Dolly, the girls two blond lady Labrador Retrievers and I would like to invite you to our home for a photography gathering starting about 5 PM Friday, May 14, Saturday May 15 and Sunday May 16th. We have been doing this for about a year and a half with attendance ranging from 10-25 photographers. It has been a blast for us. I hope you have enjoyed it as much.

In February I had the pleasure of visiting the Midwest Large Format Asylumís annual print review at the Indiana Dunes. It was a great event with friendly people who take some pretty good pictures. I am inviting any of them who are willing to make the trip to join us. It should be good people meeting and enjoying good people.

The following is boiler plate based on earlier experiences.
    Available options we have enjoyed before will be the Cuyahoga Valley National Park,
    http://www.nps.gov/CUVA/index.htm

Within five miles:
    Blue Hen Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/bluehen.shtml
    Buttermilk Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls...milkCUVA.shtml
    Brandywine Falls http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/brandywine.shtml
    Virgina Kendall Ledges
    http://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/maps.htm

What has become boiler plate for each event.

The event will be in Bath, Ohio, between Cleveland and Akron, five miles south of the Ohio Turnpike and Route 77, meeting at a private home, two miles from the edge of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. For a rough estimate of distance use zip 44286 in Mapquest.com. If some visitors want to camp by the garden, they are most welcome. Others can stay at local motels. The Hampton Inn, Richfield, OH (1 800 Hampton) about five miles away is the most popular. Come as early as Friday, 5:00 PM. We usually have coffee & rolls each morning at 10:00 AM to allow for early shooters and late sleepers. We gather again about 5:00 PM to show prints, tell lies and go out to dinner. Sunset shooting is available, but previously showing prints and telling stories prevailed. While you are here the Lady Labradors will entertain with their splashing stick routines. One regular will try to convince you that Bacon ice cream is a bit of heaven. There is an orchard-home made ice cream business near by. When we learn how many are coming we can order a porta potty if there are enough to pay for it by contribution ($110). Our home stumbles through on an ancient septic system and well so we must ask you to endure this porta potty inconvenience.

We are trying to have a loose organizational shell under which all cats may be comfortably herded. The plan will evolve until the majority are happy and the protesters fall asleep.

All film shooters are welcome. Who is interested in coming? What information is needed?

If you have not been here before please PM me with name, address, phone, email and emergency contact in case you do something you shouldnít have. I will return with directions.

Welcome to the Powersí house.
    Hosts, John & Dolly Powers
    Labradors: Cindy and Savannah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the nearby facilities and photo opportunities:

http://sites.google.com/site/neohapug/home

Lee

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thank you Lee. You really have worked on this since the earlier versions.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John, i've just run across this actually.. Do you happen to go to Akron?
    Your avatar picture does ring familiarity, well, especially the camera.

I believe I was in a class with you, some time ago now (2-3 years?) and returning back to photography as a minor.

Very interesting event you have planned! I will tell my friends and see who I can gather up.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Welcome davelam,

Yes I am still taking photo courses at U Akron, this term shooting 8x10 and enlarging, last term 7x17 working on the canal project. Once a year I wheel in the baby jogger and do a demo with the 7x17 camera. The teachers use me to convince some of the students that carrying a 35mm and a small aluminum tripod may really not be all that bad.

I am glad the event still looks interesting. We have had lots of fun at earlier gatherings. It has not been so much about the items planned but the interaction of the people who come. That is what makes it good for me anyway. Every one gets a chance to do what they want, show their work and enjoy like minded people. Age difference really hasn't seemed a factor. Everyone makes an effort and it has been great. Hope we will see you.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again. I'll try and get that weekend off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on when I end up going to the pacific, I might be able to drive over Saturday. I won't be able to shoot, I don't think, but I can look at prints and talk. I'll have the little one with me (he now weighs more than my 4x5).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again. I'll try and get that weekend off.
    Dale,

Great that you are coming. Bring prints to show.

Is your friend/co-worker Bill Jones reading APUG? If not would you please tell him about the event and invite him.

John

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shoot - bad timing for Eva & I. We'll be out of town that weekend and can't make it! Everyone try not to have any fun without us.

Keep me posted on the next gathering though. And of course you are all welcome up here in Michigan as well.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Depending on when I end up going to the pacific, I might be able to drive over Saturday. I won't be able to shoot, I don't think, but I can look at prints and talk. I'll have the little one with me (he now weighs more than my 4x5).
    Bethe,

We would love to have you and the new munchkin. Remember Dolly and I are absentee grand parents. Denver is too far. We may be disgustingly enthusiastic.

I think Dale mentioned one time that he has a Minox. Maybe that would be a good starter size. Probably a little too age/technical, but what the heck.

John

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin