Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,595   Online: 711

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

If Anyone is interested

I have been asked to sit in on an interview on WNYC Radio next wed. to speak on the "demise" of traditional photography. I believe they expect me to play the devils advocate. Also on the show will be Clifford Ross who recently displayed, what is being called, the highest resolution photograph ever taken. A cross breed of film and digital. The show will air from 12 noon to 1:00 PM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might take the opportunity to mention the huge resurgence in large format photography and film, paper, developers, etc. which are related (it sounds like a promo for digital to me). Make sure to mention that Ilford had the best year in film sales last year of any in the past decade. Little things like that will help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you've done this before you'll know that the interviewer may hit you with loaded questions, especially if it's live. If you haven't done this try to arrange the questions in advance with them. I've been trapped into having to face ridiculous questions, live on both national radio and TV in the UK, because I didn't have sight of the questions and believed the interviewer when he said nothing contentious. The risk is that you come out of it all looking like an absolute idiot.

Best wishes for the interview.

Be sure to wear your "Death before Digital" t-shirt so they know you're a reasonable person...

I'm not sure that you've asked anyone's advice, but we all seem to want to give it to you, anyway. The host of the show wants an interesting show, not necessarily the same as reasoned discourse. I'm sure you have certain points you would like to make with some facts, perhaps from your lab business to back them up. Make sure your points get aired. Watching politicians answer questions from the press would be beneficial. Make sure you stay on your message by answering the questions they should have asked, even if your answer doesn't quite tie to the question.
    I wish I could listen to the show but I'll be in Michagan next week at my in-laws. I wish you the best. Please let us know how it went.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Be sure to wear your "Death before Digital" t-shirt so they know you're a reasonable person...

I'm not sure that you've asked anyone's advice, but we all seem to want to give it to you, anyway. The host of the show wants an interesting show, not necessarily the same as reasoned discourse. I'm sure you have certain points you would like to make with some facts, perhaps from your lab business to back them up. Make sure your points get aired. Watching politicians answer questions from the press would be beneficial. Make sure you stay on your message by answering the questions they should have asked, even if your answer doesn't quite tie to the question.
    I wish I could listen to the show but I'll be in Michagan next week at my in-laws. I wish you the best. Please let us know how it went.
    Take care,
    Tom
    You can listen to it on the internet, is how I am going to do it. I got me the radio station from the multimedia tab. Good luck Jim, you will have a strident antidigital (as I been called here) rooting for you.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Watching politicians answer questions from the press would be beneficial. Make sure you stay on your message by answering the questions they should have asked, even if your answer doesn't quite tie to the question.
    Tom
    One of the things I notice when these politicians get on the air is that the question is secondary and is probably never answered. What you do hear however, is what they want to tell you !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is noon to 1:00 Leonard Lopate? He's a fairly intelligent interviewer (and I think he studied painting, so he's well versed in the visual arts), so I would actually expect reasoned discourse, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were leading questions, which are just part of the game.

Good luck, and I'll try to listen, if I'm close to a radio.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do like the politicians do, ignore the real question and answer what you want. You start by saying, "That is a good question and I'm sure that my fellow artist......." Then you take off on what you want to say in your own way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would it be possible to post (part of ) the interview to this forum?
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mvjim
    I have been asked to sit in on an interview on WNYC Radio next wed. to speak on the "demise" of traditional photography. I believe they expect me to play the devils advocate. Also on the show will be Clifford Ross who recently displayed, what is being called, the highest resolution photograph ever taken. A cross breed of film and digital. The show will air from 12 noon to 1:00 PM.
    Ah men! I thought the name C. Ross sounded familiar.....In an unrelated thread about Lyson inks in the LF forum, someone had a link to the "highest resolution camera", out of curiosity I clicked on it and it turns out this is the same guy who a few months back made a "splash" in the news because of his converted aerial camera to take 9x18 film. As I understand it, he did not make the highest resolution photograph, he simply scanned a large negative with high resolution, resulting on a 2.xx gigabyte file. Big deal! If this even comes up, please tell him there are plenty of us ULF photographers who will be glad to lend him 12x20, 16x20 and 20x24 negatives that will produce files far bigger than 2.xx gigs scanned at the same resolution as his negative.

Typical digihead disinformation. Far from being insulted by being called a "strident" antidigital person, I am proud of being one, at least I don't have to lie to people when I explain how I do my prints. What a bunch of BS!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin