Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,904   Online: 941

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Great Bear Rainforest Trip - North Coast BC

Just putting out feelers for summer/fall 2011...

Anybody interested in spending about two weeks photographing the Great Bear Rainforest on BC's north coast?

I'm picturing a small group who could be taken down Douglas Channel (south of Kitimat) by boat. We could be dropped off on beaches near prime photography locations, camp and photograph a couple days, then be picked up and taken to other spots. This way we could be at each location enough time to really get a sense of the place, and be there for the all important dusk/dawn light.

A charter vessel big enough for a small group to live aboard for that long would be expensive!

You, your camping gear, clothes, and photography equipment would have to be prepared for drenching rain and wild weather extremes. It is also, obviously, bear country. These would be unspoiled bears for the most part, who don't associate people with handouts or garbage. Knowing how to camp and move through bear country is a must.

Here's a google maps link to the area;

* edit: oops...type in "Douglas Channel" in search field, then click second link. grrrrrrr...

http://maps.google.com/maps?ftr=eart...google%20earth

There is a proposal in the review process right now to build a pipeline to Kitimat, and an oil port in Kitimat that will see 240 supertankers a year. If we agreed to let First Nation's and environmental groups who are fighting this project use the photographs we take in their campaigns, it would open doors that would otherwise be closed to us, particularly in Hartley Bay and Kitamaat.

Here's a short video by the International League of Conservation Photographers. They spent about a week in the area earlier this month;

www.vimeo.com/15330613

What do you think?

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 09-29-2010 at 09:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murray, it sounds like a great idea. I might be able to go, but there are a lot of variables for me right now, not least of which would be the actual dates.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yup...me too.

I won't know when my annual leave is until after the holiday list comes out in February. Luckily, I'm the second most senior person in my section, so that leaves at least 49 weeks to choose from. We'll see if the idea has legs before investing too much effort in it.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would be interested in this depending on work as well.
    Fiona

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin