Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,693   Online: 850
      
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 89

Thread: Apug conference

  1. #61

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,243
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Boy, that's something I've always wanted on the main APUG greeting page, but always thought it'd be too over-the-top to ask for. It'd be great if there was some kind of server-side applet that would take the postal codes (zip for US folks, I'm sure there's an equiv for the rest of the world) and put dots on a map of the world showing what parts of the world are actually logged into APUG at any given time or, alternatively, show how the membership, message posting or gallery posting frequency is distributed.

    there. I've flushed my brain of the idea. (:

    -KwM-
    That would be neat
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Just north of the Inferno
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    750
    Images
    27
    Only downside to a Dec. meet in my mind would be that Dec. is the most busy time of the year for family obligations....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,410
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Boy, that's something I've always wanted on the main APUG greeting page, but always thought it'd be too over-the-top to ask for. It'd be great if there was some kind of server-side applet that would take the postal codes (zip for US folks, I'm sure there's an equiv for the rest of the world) and put dots on a map of the world showing what parts of the world are actually logged into APUG at any given time or, alternatively, show how the membership, message posting or gallery posting frequency is distributed.

    there. I've flushed my brain of the idea. (:

    -KwM-
    Very cool idea!!

    Sean - you busy??

  4. #64
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    I had a nice phone conversation with mrcallow last week on this subject. Since the voitng in the poll is going 7 to 1 in favor of the conf, I think it would be good to set up some exploratory committees to see about location, and all other attendant needs. Since Eric is in the travel industry I would think he would make a good head for an exploratory location committee chariman.

    For my part in this thing, I would like to keep it to an area that I already have some contacts. I can do the vendor portion. Again this is a committee thing, not a one person thing. I just had the big mouth to get it started. mrcallow would make a great overall chairman of it all.

  5. #65
    jd callow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Milan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,002
    Images
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    I just had the big mouth to get it started. mrcallow would make a great overall chairman of it all.
    Mr Callow will have to pass on the nomination.

    *

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Montgomery, Il/USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,161
    Rather than one large international(?) conference why not regional informal get togethers? Casual lunch/dinner BS sessions. Perhaps within a few hours drive of a central point.
    NE/EAST COAST/SE/MW/NW/SW/WEST COAST etc.
    At least it would give the opportunity to meet face to face with others with similar interests and would alllow more flexibility for scheduling/logistics/expense.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,410
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy
    Rather than one large international(?) conference why not regional informal get togethers? Casual lunch/dinner BS sessions. Perhaps within a few hours drive of a central point.
    NE/EAST COAST/SE/MW/NW/SW/WEST COAST etc.
    At least it would give the opportunity to meet face to face with others with similar interests and would alllow more flexibility for scheduling/logistics/expense.
    ???
    John
    (New Zealand)

  8. #68
    Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,566
    Blog Entries
    7
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Very cool idea!!

    Sean - you busy??
    I've seen something like this being worked on, but it would probably be a performance hit on the server with the extra queries that would run. I'll check it out though..

  9. #69
    jovo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,086
    Images
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    ???
    John
    (New Zealand)
    The internet shrinks the planet to the size of our monitors. Forgive the USAcentric bias that creeps in sometimes. It's easy to forget that NZ, Australia, Europe, Africa, S. America and Asia aren't as close as our digiworld makes them appear. The irony of an APUG conference that would be geographically difficult for Sean of all people isn't pleasant to consider at all let alone the many who will not be close to wherever the conference is ultimatley sited.
    John Voss

    My Blog

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,410
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    The internet shrinks the planet to the size of our monitors. Forgive the USAcentric bias that creeps in sometimes. It's easy to forget that NZ, Australia, Europe, Africa, S. America and Asia aren't as close as our digiworld makes them appear. .....
    no worries here - I'll just keep popping up the NZ flag from time to time .


    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I've seen something like this being worked on, but it would probably be a performance hit on the server with the extra queries that would run. I'll check it out though..
    Wasn't deadly serious Sean.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin