Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 639

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

SF Bay Area Show 'n' Wine Oct 9 '04

See the update in the Regional Focus Groups.
    Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had a great time Geary! It was fun to meet so many apuggers. Funny thing is I know of 8 who were not there. Next time I bet they show up. I loved Mateo's Uranium/cyanotype prints. Of course hubby type made the statement "No you are not doing Uranium!" on the way home. Our own TomTom has some exciting news for everyone here. She works at the local photo store in Berkeley. They are going to offer mail order to us apuggers. I'll let her tell the particulars. The sharing of photos was very enjoyable. So many really good prints that just do not show as well on line as they do in person. Hugs to all 10 who were there, and I promise not to talk so much next time.

Oh yeah and Geary has a really nice darkroom. He can be proud of all the hard work.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And a big thank you! to Geary and Linda for their warm hospitality and a sumptuous feast. That'll be a tough act to follow!

I really enjoyed meeting all of you. It's nice to put faces with the avatars!

-Will
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i too would like to say a big THANK YOU to geary and linda for hosting the meeting and feed us too i also had a great time putting real names with apug names. it was a real joy meeting all of you (and re-meeting some of you) that came as well as seeing your work. and yes, as soon as i work out the fine details, i'll be able to offer a mail order service for apug users. it maybe only u.s. users until we get the hang of things. we're a small store be we stock some unusual photo supplies.

thanks again geary and linda -
    tomtom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thank you so much Geary and Linda for the very nice evening. What a nice group of people, great to see faces for the names. Also it's great to see what other people are doing with film, makes me want to go home and print.

That's a nice workspace you've got there Geary, when I get home I'm going to try to make my darkroom as clean as yours.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Geary! For all your efforts -- well worth the trip

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Images
    Wow!
    We really have a great bunch of APUG photographers in the Bay Area! I truly enjoyed the opportunity to meet, mingle and see the work of some really talented folks.

Everyone's shared portfolios were really wonderful. The community of work showed the broad spectrum of visions, processes and formats. We saw Vandykes, PT/PD, Bromoil, silver, hybrids and YES,(!), even Mateo's Uranium prints. Our APUG Galleries are marvelous, but the superlative works suffer online in comparison to actually seeing prints.

One of our APUG'ers significant other's brought some simply stunning micro/macro digital work of plants and flowers. The images were beautifully "other worldly" showing the amazing patterns of nature in miniscule realities. But, digital or not, who cares, the technical aspects were entirely overshadowed by the artistry!

I was most impressed that the work was not driven by the processes. The visions and compositions were supported by the processes.

Aggie brought her full plate camera to show. Her print of Delta draw bridge evoked many interpretations. Tomtom brought some working/learning Vandykes that show great promise. Mateo's various alternative processes work really challenged our preconcepts of how we expected prints to look. Wfwhitaker has a remarkable portfolio of very well done images in a broad array of subjects and formats. I could cover my walls with Jon's North Coast images, (one of my most favorite areas in the world!). Grahamp shared several marvelous images, but I was most taken by a stunningly visual shot of circular interior. We, unfortunately, didn't get to see bjourke's work, he had to leave a bit early, but his attendance was enjoyed by all!

Great folks, wonderful work and a willingness to openly share...it was my wife's and my pleasure to be able to host such a gathering! A special thanks to Jon, (& most charming companion), and Mateo for making long drives to participate! We will definitely drive this group back together as often as possible.

Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Thanks very much to our gracious hosts! Great to see photography is not dead and that people are working towards their individual visions.

Jon Shiu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Geary and thanks for the kind words and welcome! I registered for the forum on Sunday and wrote a long message and it got erased in the process of my trying to create and upload an avatar. So much for multi-tasking!

I really enjoyed the get together since I rarely meet photographers as interested in process and vision as this group and that is something I sorely miss. But, also, it was wonderful to get to see the world through the eyes of each photographer who shared work and hear a bit about how they achieve their results.

I still wish I could see Caroline's crowd photos and I went on Sunday to see Kevin's posted China pictures. Really fascinating to put the photography with the photographer once you've met him or her.

I look forward to the Mare Island trip and hope to see some of you there. (I know we'll see you, Will! Graham also enjoyed this get together for similar reasons to mine but also because most of you share his love of medium and large format monochromes!

Thanks for being open to seeing my digital work - I'll bring analog work to any future events! I can still work with analog cameras at home where I have several tripods and of course my 'studio' set ups (if you could see them, you'd understand the single quotes). If I have a stimulating group of photographers to share the results with, I may be inspired to do more.

Carla
    Carla J. Patterson, aka Carla Cryptic

Carla Cryptic's fotolog archives
    Cryptic Web

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carla, When we go to Mare Island, I will bring my old tripod. I think you will like it. It might be the solution to the RMS and such. It is very sturdy, ultra light weight, and fast to set up. It looks like it has been through world war two, but such is the life of a tripod that has been nearly around the world. It is strong enough to hold everything but my large format cameras.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin