Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,641   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images

Small Print Exchange

Hi,

I know there are already many different print exchanges going on, like the group, lith and alternative print exchanges - not to forget the postcard exchange. Why another exchange?

Well, I am a big fan of the smaller image (like 8x10 which is currently my standard format). I think it is nicer to look at smaller images when holding them in your hand and also there is only so many space at the wall.

But often when I participate in a print exchange I get relatively big prints and so often I tend to also send a big print, or at least bigger than my standard print format. Not that I do not welcome a big print sent to me, but honestly, I would prefer smaller ones. And I think I am not the only one.

So why don't we start a small print exchange where - like in the group exchanges - we make groups of three or four people who send a small print to each other. Let's define the maximum paper size to be 8x10 inches.

Anyone interested?

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I think it certainly is a valid idea, I am going to hold myself to the current no no practice of sending my postcard prints in an envelope.

In my postal system (which is currently not functioning thanks to a labour dispute) that lets me send three 4.7x7 prints at a normal letter rate.

While I know it is a no no to some the fact that I can cram in three postcard sized images, and still pay the same as if mailing just the postcard justuifies it for me. It also lets me send all sorts of images on old paper styles that would otherwise never survive as raw postcards.

Thanks for all that you do in these exchanges.

Anybody heard how Randy, founder of the Postcard exchange, is hold up these days?
    Last I heard, perhaps two years ago, he was weighed down with family responsibilities.
    my real name, imagine that.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    ... In my postal system (which is currently not functioning thanks to a labour dispute) that lets me send three 4.7x7 prints at a normal letter rate.
    I found some funny thing in my postal system. Letters sent international may be a bit bigger than letter sent within Germany. Today I sent some images for the alternative print exchange and the same image to someone in Germany. The envelope was just a bit too big to be sent as a letter within Germany which means that sending that image international was cheaper than sending the same size within Germany.

Cheers
    Ruediger

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    ... Anybody heard how Randy, founder of the Postcard exchange, is hold up these days?
    Last I heard, perhaps two years ago, he was weighed down with family responsibilities.
    I had some PM exchange with him early last year iirc but have not heard of him for more than a year.

And to give the founding credits to the right person. The founder of the postcard exchange is Nige and I think it started sometime in 2003. Randy took over when Nige retired from the postcard exchange. I think that was round 9 and I joined in round 10. Until Randy had to step back because of some personal issues (I think in round 11 or 12) we organized the exchange together, him collecting addresses, me providing the program to build the groupings. Organizing the exchange together sounded like half of the work for each of us, but it was not. There was some ... friction loss. Data got lost and I remember back when I received PM from one member who signed in and somehow did not end on the list. I can tell you, that was not the nicest read and I was really happy to live far away from that guy.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In the UK, standard letter size is 240x165mm with a maximum thickness of 5mm - A 5x7 print would fit nicely in to an envelope this size.
    If we could limit the size to A5, I'm game.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are the maximum sizes for Lettermail in Canada and the US:

Within Canada: 245 x 156 x 5 mm
    To the US and internationally: 245 x 150 x 5 mm

USA

Within the US and international: No more than 6-1/8 inches high X 11-1/2 inches long X 1/4 inch thick (= 155mm x 292mm x 6mm)

I'd vote for a print size that is no larger than the maximum we can send lettermail in each of our respective countries.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    ... I'd vote for a print size that is no larger than the maximum we can send lettermail in each of our respective countries.
    Here in Germany we have different sizes/costs for what we can send as lettermail. The standard and compact letter sizes will just not hold a 5x7. To use this I would have to trim it to something smaller. Then the bigger sizes will easily hold a 12x16 inch print. So in this case lettermail is not a good restriction for a small print That is why I'd rather vote for biggest paper size is 8x10 and everything smaller is allowed and welcome.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would love to join in! This would actually be my first exchange ever, but unfortunately I cannot get to a darkroom until late August If this time restriction would be too difficult to deal with I completely understand and perhaps I could participate in a later exchange.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd be happy to join. I too enjoy small prints, and exchanges are a good way to set deadlines and get actual work done !
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I could be interested in this.

My preferred larger paper size is 20x25cm or 8x10".

Mick.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin