Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,589   Online: 918

Shooter
    Medium Format

how to see the frame numbers

hello,

i am making a pinhole camera and was wondering how can i see the frame numbers,

as i wouldnt know how much should i rewind the film, if i make a hole at the back will get light inside the camera,so any ideas?

Shooter
    35mm
    I assume you're intending to use 120 film? If so, frame numbers are imprinted on the paper backing. Just get hold of some dark red transparent plastic and have a look at the backing to see where the frame numbers for your chosen format is located (6x6 is in the center; if memory serves, 645 is at the top and 6x9 at the bottom, but you'll see once you get hold of a roll of 120...), then drill a hole in the back at the appropriate position, glue the red plastic onto the body and Bob's your uncle.

It would be advisable to have some sort of mechanism to keep the film flat-ish against the rear of the box - for one, it will keep the film flat during the exposure; also, it will ensure that whatever stray light enters via the hole you drilled for the film frame readout does not bounce about the insides of the camera. (Shouldn't be much of an issue - you'll paint the inside black anyway, I guess.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes i use 120mm.
    so if i use something like red acrilic plastic sheet(transperant) or paint a transperant sheet with red wouldnt be a problem and light wont come?
    my inside is black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need to use red anything, film nowadays is sensitive to all coloured light, you should however for piece of mind put some tape or some sort of cover to stop light entering the camera all the time and just lift the tape when winding film on.
    Something like this guy has done.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dciphot...-36608952@N00/
    Last edited by SMBooth; 01-11-2012 at 09:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: better link

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As viewed from the camera back, the frame numbers for 2 1/4 x 1 5/8 are centered horozontally and 18mm above center. For 2 1/4 square, they are centered vertically and vertically. For 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 they are 35mm to the right and 20mm below the center.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chihiro View Post
    yes i use 120mm.
    so if i use something like red acrilic plastic sheet(transperant) or paint a transperant sheet with red wouldnt be a problem and light wont come?
    my inside is black.
    -Shane/SMBooth is 100% correct in stating that nowadays, just about all b+w film is sensitive to red light as well; my bad.

So - a toned piece of plastic -of any colour- (to minimize light entering in the first place) combined with a piece of tape or something covering the frame window when not needed (further reducing the risk of light leaks) will be your best bet. Also, taking care to have the film firmly placed against the back will make it even less likely that light entering through the frame window will cause any trouble.

Oh, and as an additional measure, try to keep the window out of direct sunlight when you advance the film to the next frame.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OddE View Post
    I assume you're intending to use 120 film? If so, frame numbers are imprinted on the paper backing. Just get hold of some dark red transparent plastic and have a look at the backing to see where the frame numbers for your chosen format is located (6x6 is in the center; if memory serves, 645 is at the top and 6x9 at the bottom, but you'll see once you get hold of a roll of 120...), then drill a hole in the back at the appropriate position, glue the red plastic onto the body and Bob's your uncle.

It would be advisable to have some sort of mechanism to keep the film flat-ish against the rear of the box - for one, it will keep the film flat during the exposure; also, it will ensure that whatever stray light enters via the hole you drilled for the film frame readout does not bounce about the insides of the camera. (Shouldn't be much of an issue - you'll paint the inside black anyway, I guess.)
    i did this and it works just fine !
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin