Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 656

Shooter
    Multi Format

First Cameras and Pinholes

I'm new to pinhole cameras, I've built a lot (mostly furniture and models before) and teach model making/shop. I also have done a bit with digital photography, mostly for the purposes of documenting my work in the other areas.

The following show some (rushed and crappy) images of two cameras I've just finished. They are made of black foamcore and black tape. The thin one has 3.2" focal length 90 degree viewing angle the thicker one has a 5" focal length and about a 53 degree viewing angle.

The pinholes are as of yet unmounted, they consist of .002" brass shim stock mounted to black matte board (cut via laser cutter) the holes still have to be poked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_3395.JPG   DSC_3396.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice neat work. And you're in plenty of time to test 'em out and be ready for Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day on April 29.

And welcome to APUG!

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dave and yes I did see worldwide pinhole day and thought I need to get on this. I'm hoping to get the rest of my darkroom supplies build an LED safelight and darkify my bathroom sometime next week. Hopefully I'll be able to figure the process out well enough in time for the big day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just punched my first pinhole and it was terribly exciting. Again, I'm using .002" brass shim stock glued to matte board carriers. I used the first part of a "Precision Point" pin, it's body measures .0271" in diameter, and as far as I can measure (with a loupe and fine ruler) the diameter of the hole is about .018-.020". I held the hole up to my eye in order to look through it which was pretty amazing. The pinhole effectively turned my eyeball into a camera (I know it is already) but it was still a bit different having an image projected into your eye, than having your pupil be the aperture.

I can't wait until the photopaper arrives.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Can you make one out of wood?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    Can you make one out of wood?
    Sure can.

(Maybe mine was a bit of overkill, but it was mostly made from scrap offcuts. And it works pretty well.)

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A pinhole — to take a 5x4 holder — can be made out of foamcore. This implies you can fashion a pinhole camera from just about anything you can imagine.

-> http://pinhole.stanford.edu/foamcore.html
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the question was more could "I" make one out of wood, yes, I've got plans to sometime in the near future. I'm working on film holders at the moment too. Which would be a great addition to these things I think.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin