Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,963   Online: 1056

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My thoughts exactly..

That came from a lady manning the desk at Focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Insane. You can buy a decent old 8x10 and real lens for that. If you also want a pinhole a laser cut one should be cheap to get and easy to mount to a lendboard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not to rain on the Titan parade, but you folks DO know you can get a ZeroImage 4 by 5 pinhole camera with three different distance settings (25, 50 and 75) AND already equipped with three pinholes, one for each distance, and three different zone plates, also for each distance, all for about $250?

OK, so you hold it together with rubber bands, but it's still a pretty nice outfit, at least in my two weeks experience with one.

Having said that, I'm glad Ilford is having some success with this -- anything to get more people using film.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Am I understanding this right? 600$ for a pinhole camera?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brand new. With the name "Ilford" on it.

The name's not worth $400, sorry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    not to rain on the Titan parade, but you folks DO know you can get a ZeroImage 4 by 5 pinhole camera with three different distance settings (25, 50 and 75) AND already equipped with three pinholes, one for each distance, and three different zone plates, also for each distance, all for about $250?

OK, so you hold it together with rubber bands, but it's still a pretty nice outfit, at least in my two weeks experience with one.

Having said that, I'm glad Ilford is having some success with this -- anything to get more people using film.
    Not raining on my parade, as I'm totally pleased with my Titan. The quality is excellent, it is light and easy to use, and the image quality is awesome. From everything I've heard the ZeroImage cameras are also very good, but something about the Titan struck a cord with me so that' s what I bought.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Am I understanding this right? 600$ for a pinhole camera?
    It does seem a bit out of place doesn't it. The Zero Image units are far less expensive but even they are a bit over the top for me. My last pinhole was made out of a generic oatmeal box with a piece of aluminum flashing taped to the front that had a small pinhole made with a finish nail. I have no idea what size the pinhole is but the picture came out pretty much as I expected on a piece of 4x5 film. I based the exposure timing on some info from an old website. I think I have probably used it only a couple of times, but its still around here somewhere. The sheet of film was the most expensive part of the entire proposition. That and my time, though I've been known to waste a little of that once in a while.

I was under the mistaken impression that pinhole photography was all about that dreamy, slightly out-of-focus look and do-it-yourself. If I want to get any more precise than that I can use my Crown Graphic and shoot beautifully sharp images with that Kodak Ektar lens. I don't think I paid over $150 for the Crown Graphic for goodness sakes!

Maybe I should buy a Zero Image and an Ilford and do a camera shoot off before I send them back. Just to see which of the three makes the dreamiest image. Ought to make a great Luminous Landscape article.

Hmmm. I might need to paint that old box, use my airgun to blow out the oatmeal dust, include a few sheets of outdated film and put it up on flea bay for $25. This might be a business opportunity!

I do agree though, I may think it a bit silly but I am very glad that Ilford is doing so well with the idea. It just means they may be able to stay around a while longer and keep selling me film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really don't think these types of pinhole cameras (read $$) bring in new users as much as we would like to believe they would. They probably just grab hold of existing film photographers so there is no real gain in new film users imo. Look at who bought the 4x5 version...people who hang out here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sold Out

Well...if they sold out the first batch that quickly for that much money, a lot of someones have to like them.

I'll have to go find that old oatmeal box, make a new pinhole with one of my wife's bigger sewing needles. (Don't tell her, if she don't see she won't know...right?) Maybe the next picture will get clearer. Now...where did I hide that formula to calculate the aperture??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I
    I was under the mistaken impression that pinhole photography was all about that dreamy, slightly out-of-focus look and do-it-yourself. If I want to get any more precise than that I can use my Crown Graphic and shoot beautifully sharp images with that Kodak Ektar lens. I don't think I paid over $150 for the Crown Graphic for goodness sakes!

you are not mistaken, but some of us -- total honest alert! -- are either snobs or just like to play with really nice cameras, and an oatmeal pinhole camera doesn't qualify as "really nice."

Plus I'm not the handy sort. So shoot me, I like to buy stuff rather than make it. I DID use a speed graphic as a pinhole camera once, and have a friend who is doing so now...pretty easy, just use the rear shutter.

You want homemade and dreamy -- check out this guy, who's taken homemade to a whole new level, and gets that dreamy look by filtering the pinhole light through HIV positive human blood...http://boyofblue.com/cameras/hiv.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin