Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,675   Online: 891

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    you are not mistaken, but some of us -- total honest alert! -- are either snobs or just like to play with really nice cameras, and an oatmeal pinhole camera doesn't qualify as "really nice."

Plus I'm not the handy sort. So shoot me, I like to buy stuff rather than make it. I DID use a speed graphic as a pinhole camera once, and have a friend who is doing so now...pretty easy, just use the rear shutter.

You want homemade and dreamy -- check out this guy, who's taken homemade to a whole new level, and gets that dreamy look by filtering the pinhole light through HIV positive human blood...http://boyofblue.com/cameras/hiv.html
    Oh wow! I'll pass on using blood of any kind. It certainly takes all types to make a world.

You are absolutely right. My little oatmeal box is certainly nowhere near as nice as your Ilford Titan. And I am a gear head who really appreciates nice things as well, so I would surely enjoy using the Titan. I have looked at pictures and it does look very nice.

But you just might surprise yourself regarding being handy. While it is sometimes nice to buy it ready made, you might want to try out the oatmeal box yourself one of these days. You might be surprised at how much fun it really is to roll our own. Besides, and I know this probably sounds a little dumb, but it kind of makes me feel like I am experiencing photography the way it was for the guys who first started this whole crazy thing out in the very beginning.

Anyway, have fun with the Titan and toss us poor cardboard camera users a bone or two and show us some of your pictures.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My name's Marc - I'm handy AND I've ordered a Titan... They just look nice is all, and there's no harm buying a nice thing from one of our surviving analogue material manufacturers.

(I am still drawing up plans for a 4x5" 'urban stomping camera' though... with a shell made from Tasmanian blackheart sassafras...)
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One thing to remember is that the $600 is a rumored price for the 8x10 which is not available yet. The 4x5 is a more like $225, and includes film, paper, and an exposure calculator.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am having great fun giving you a hard time about this, but underneath it all I do understand the attraction. The kits do look tempting and the pictures make them look very nice. But I get my fill of pinhole photography through less expensive methods right now, and my Crown Graphic also doubles as a pinhole from time to time.

I do love the idea of building cameras from scratch, though I have not been successful with anything but simple pinhole cameras yet. I am following Colray's posting here on APUG about the progress on his homemade 5x4 camera and once the weather here warms up a bit more I'll be following in his footsteps. Not real sure about that bellows yet but I did learn to sew on my own buttons awhile back so it can't be that tough.

Throw out a few posts once you get started on your own camera as I am always interested in seeing how these things work out.

And no, I seriously doubt that Deardorff will feel at all threatened by my camera building efforts so you guys are far better off buying your own as you see fit.

But seriously guys, $200 for a pinhole?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did not realize that the 4x5 kits included paper and film, all up for 225$. That's a heck of a lot more reasonable.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys,

We do not know how much the 10" x 8" TiTAN will be....although 100% accurate is the price we were quoting at FOCUS is circa £ 400.00

As always the consumer decides on whether to buy based on a range of criteria including value for money. I would remind you that these TiTAN pinholes are 'hand made' in the United Kingdom.

I will let you know the actual launch price and what it comes with if we do go into production.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN tcehnology Limited.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They may cost enough to make that that's the price you'd have to charge. And if so, I understand. But I don't really understand why people would pay it. I'd just buy an old 8x10 field camera and make a pinhole board for it.

The 4x5s are not unreasonable for what you get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One advantage of the 8x10 Titan should be weight. Carrying around an 8x10 field camera with some holders can be a chore. A very light 8x10 pinhole outfit would get more use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 150 5.6 Rodagon, neg carrier and some 4x5 film holders that could see some use. We NEED to support our film makers any way we can. I figure for $225, I can forgo going out to dinner a few times and come up with that.

I am on the notify list on B&H and will keep an eye out on Freestyle, I'm in!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a couple of the pinhole 4X5's in stock if anyone is looking for one.
    I'm in Canada but can ship it.
    I realize not all countries imported the kits.

-rob skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin