Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,436   Online: 1089

Thread: 8x10 Pinhole?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

8x10 Pinhole?

I'm getting the stuff ready to put together a 8x10 pinhole camera made from wood. I'm thinking that 12" is the proper distance from film to hole at least if I get the hole the right size? Is there a premium distance in regards to film from hole distance? Thanks for any assistance, 44 and this will be my first attempt at putting together a pinhole camera, well actually it'll be the first time I even tried one!

James

Images
    mrpinhole.com has a handy calculator for determining everything.

Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Conventional wisdom has the diagonal measurement as the "normal" "focal" length. Your length of 12" is about "normal". Most pinholers prefer wider angles than normal. If it were my camera, I make it somewhere between 6" & 9". You might want to check out the f295 pinhole forum.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been considering the same here is what I have for 8x10.

Min Focal Length is 7 inches with optimal pinhole at .56mm - f=317
    the fstop rises with increased focal length from 317 at 7in to 412 at 12 inches.

Consider building at 9 inches with a 2 inch reversable lensboard as an accessory. Then you have 7,9,11 inch focal lengths so you can choose the best angle of view.

F Pinhole Angle Fstop
    7in .56mm 85 317
    9in .64mm 71 357 (8 stops > f22) (iso 100 sunny 5seconds)
    11in .70mm 60 400
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies it really helps. I was thinking about going wider and having a reversable lensboard which I already have is a great IDEA!

James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another good source book for pinhole is: "Pinhole photography" by Eric Renner. Sometimes it's nice to have a paper manual to gander at.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin