Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,539   Posts: 1,544,287   Online: 826

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a thread some time ago on the subject of lenses made from ice. (but when I tried to do a search on "ice lens" I also got every entry for "nice lens". )
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There are few things to accomplish when working with epoxy.
    First of all not mixing all part 1 and part 2 but as much as you need.
    Second , if you use marine grade epoxy , its hardener generally dark brown due to wait in the shelf. You must find crystal clear epoxy but very expensive.
    Third , you must find pumps to pump one part epoxy to one part hardener equally or it doesnt set.
    Fourth , you must find a well heated place or it fails.
    Fifth , you must mix and set the drop in dust free environment.
    Epoxy is not suitable for that experiment because it is expensive but acrylic is great , lots of military optics made from acrylic block cnc'ed
    or rapid prototyped manufactured.
    Why not built a real lens system for example peri from rapid prototyping. I am thinking that for years
    All you need is a real lens design file , stl file and than apply to online rapid production companies , their web applet would give you a online quote from cnc file , you pay online and lens at your hand in a week.
    Rapid prototyping firms produces car parts especially lamps , stops from clear or color acrylic but it is slow and expensive again.
    Go , use your canon.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had time to work more on this as I've been pretty busy at work and this weekend was devoted to fixing/trying to fix cameras and repainting/touching up bodies. As well as printing in the darkroom a backlog of images people have requested.

I guess the terminology wasn't the most appropriate but it was the most descriptive term at the time as it evolved from a pinhole process. The droplets are quite small and designed to fit right over the pinhole. It is intended to be purely experimental and an alternative to standard photography with a pinhole or a conventional lens.

It was designed in mind to take advantage of surface tension on the glues/epoxy and be a simple way to make a very smooth and round lens without grinding/polishing/cnc processes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven L View Post
    I don't know if superglue sticks on silicone, I guess not. But epoxy might work.
    Super Glue should not stick to silicone. If it does, it would probably peel off fairly easily.
    This speaks to the old joke: If Super Glue is supposed to stick to anything and nothing is suppose to stick to Teflon, what would happen if you put Super Glue on a Teflon skillet?
    After the laughing subsides, the answer is that the Super Glue would not stick to the skillet. Super Glue can only stick to substances that are (chemically) polar. Teflon is almost completely non-polar. That's why nothing sticks to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_polarity

Silicone is also non-polar. So, by extension, Super Glue should not stick to silicone the same way it doesn't stick to Teflon.

Side note: Nothing sticks to Teflon, neither does Teflon stick to anything else. It was actually very difficult to make Teflon coated skillets at first. T-Fal was the first company to market a non-stick, Teflon skillet. It was a difficult, multi-step process that took years to prefect.

As to other substances that you could try to make a lens from, try Polyester casting resin:
    http://www.dickblick.com/products/ca...casting-resin/

Casting resin is thicker than Super Glue, it is almost perfectly clear and it is moldable. You should be able to find it in your local craft store.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    After the laughing subsides, the answer is that the Super Glue would not stick to the skillet. Super Glue can only stick to substances that are (chemically) polar. Teflon is almost completely non-polar. That's why nothing sticks to it.
    Then there are chemicals which are bi-polar. They make things difficult for the chemicals around them.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Something that hasn't been mentioned. Does Epoxy have the same refraction as the material the example-lens is made of? Glass refracts differently than epoxy or superglue. You can make 3 similar lenses with 3 different material and the focal length would be different.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin