Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1085

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming corrections were minimal, if any, the metering is very good indeed, but it's the subject matter that is of the most interest and gets these atmospheric images over the line with more WOW! factor in them. I am especially smitten by the first one. And of course it's fun! Every day should be pinhole day. I'm taking 'Zero' out for a walk later today to finish the roll in it.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    In Quinninup the can-meras from last year were used, although this year the local children and parents had the opportunity of using a Zero 5x4" pinhole camera with 120 roll film back or a Speed Graphic, also fitted with a roll film back. In practice this did not happen as once the participants arrived the whole thing moved too quickly. Rae got on with organising the tin can-meras. I was too slow to introduce the roll film cameras apart from some looking through the Speed Graphic with a
    lens fitted. This got statements of "Oooh, its upside down" - In any case I am the WPPD darkroom buy for these sessions - This is for health and safety concerns, mainly the health and safety of my darkroom, which is where I earn our income

With the scudding cloud cover exposures were difficult to assess with paper negatives in the can-meras, so a few of the pictures had to be repeated

Yesterday I was cleaning the darkroom for the big big-print printing session and threw all the Quinninup kids' pinhole can-meras in the recycling bin. If we do the curved plane thing again next year I will make a set of cameras with pinholes from Pinhole Resource on 10x8" film as the sensitive material. Paper negatives can be fun to play with once, but in reality are a waste of time and material and the kids here have grown out of the tin can thing already

The Quinninup page on the Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day website

http://http://www.pinholeday.org/gallery/2012/index.php?formType=list&f_action=refresh&Country=A ustralia&Province=&City=Quinninup&postal_code=&gro upname=&searchStr=

is just a click away

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 05-01-2012 at 08:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    ...I'm taking 'Zero' out for a walk later today to finish the roll in it.
    Where are you heading? I'm out and about today too, we might cross paths at some point. May throw my little XA in just for fun, and to make you jealous of I do run in to you :P

I'll look into scanning this evening, I made a couple contact prints the other night, all with a wet neg. one I didn't squeegee (last one for the night, just wanted to get it done!), I actually like the blotches and blobs on the positive, I think it suits the subject matter.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did my day's duty with a new-to-me Holga 120 WPC - 6x12. I was somewhat surprised to see that all 6 shots were reasonable! Aiming is by dint of some rudimentary plastic dots. Since this was the first time I'd tried this camera, it was more of a point and pray mission. Very wide, not sure quite what it's angle of view is, but it's very much wider than I've used before.

Unlike last year's storm on WWPD, this year was merely windy, so did get some streaky clouds even with a 10-15s exposure. I did think about shooting colour, but in the end decided to feed it some Fomapan 100.

Hmm, thimbnail's not working properly on this one...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zero is loaded with RVP 100F and now there is bright sun, so not keen on that.
    That's beside the point: I have no idea where I would head, but maybe Paper Mill Falls, down by the Barwon River, come to mind after good rains last night.
    You dare show me an Olympus XA and you'll never see it again (like my foiled plot to run off with FDiSilvestro's lush Hassy 503SWC. <*eyes water*> must track him down...

POST-SCRIPT 2.25PM
    Returned from a reasonably good shoot-out at Paper Mill Falls; flowing well, as is the Barwon River. A bit dirty though.
    Rattled off 5 shots in all waiting for diffuse (cloud-cover) in between excessively bright bursts of sun. Now to get this little pup processed...
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 05-02-2012 at 12:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should toss in here that I am quite impressed with the enhanced display in this year's WPPD gallery. Having pictures of the cameras (where provided) and being able to enlarge from the thumbnail is nicely done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wwpd_0002.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	410.1 KB 
ID:	50247mine combined bicycling and pinhole photography http://www.pinholeday.org/gallery/2012/index.php?id=827

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll probably get my hand slapped, although I didn't use my Zone VI modified digital spot meter. Nope, used my dang iphone with light meter application. Camera is Zero Image 4X5 with Delta 100. My watch is analog so I guess my images will be APUG compliant. I'll get them processed this week end and probably will print as cyanotypes. Made 4 exposures. This was a good little outing. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My students got to shoot a bit with their pinholes today, we had them loaded up last Thursday ~9-10 metal tins but didnt get to use them until today (Friday I have off now, and Monday was Photoshop and Flash animation classes). Guesstimate exposures ~3-4 minutes each.

We did about 20 or so of them plus some quick contact prints, there were more I didnt take a picture of. I have to actually rescan these but heres a bad pic lol.

Name:	IMG_0409.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	50250

They had lots of fun taking pictures of things out the window and around the classroom (like 10minute exposures).

Bonus: Ive included some pics of the Camera Obscuras they made the week before in prep for pinhole cameras.

Name:	IMG_0410.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	50251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	50252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0412.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	50253

The tube camera obscuras work with a 2nd smaller hollow end piece to cup over the tracing paper to act as a shade/darkcloth. The long box camera obscura has a piece of mylar suspended in the rear, its designed to be opened and closed to show students the path of light, and works very well too. You only need to cup your hands around the rear to see as well so no heavy darkcloths needed! The white tin in the back is what we used to make the Pinhole pictures with (we had a bunch of them).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may have an old Olympus XA or two in the basement, and I haven't used it (them) for years. Might you be interesed? Can we get it to your neck of the woods?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin