Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,917   Online: 795

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Need some photos [b]of[/b] the Zero Image camera

Hi all,
    I'd like to ask a big favor from the owners of any of the Zero Image wooden pinhole cameras: I need some fairly detailed photos of the cameras.
    Namely, I'm getting ready to make my first DIY pinhole camera made of wood (I have a rather nice selection of suitable wood "planks"), and the Zero Image design seems rather nice. But, I need measurements (approximate), and detailed (close-up) photos. Perhaps a ruler could be included in some of the photos?
    I've searched Google and elsewhere, but most of the photos are of the camera closed and ready to shoot...
    I've seen some other DIY wooden pinhole designs, and I'm trying to decide on the best design for my medium format prototype: I already have most of the hardware ready for about 10 cameras - namely, I bought about 10 bull's eye levels and had made about 10 pcs of tripod bushings. I also have some rather nice brass knobs for film rewind "mechanism".
    Anyway, I'd be grateful if anyone could send me some fairly detailed photos, if that's not a problem - even a better cellphone photo would be OK.
    I have some ideas of solving film winding mechanism, since I have several other cheap/toy MF cameras: e.g. my Certo Phot camera has a knob design that seems worth copying. I'll try to make the winding knob with a spring, so that it gets pulled up to release the film takeup spool. On the other side of the body, the original spool will probably also have some friction added to prevent unspooling.
    I'm also thinking about adding some kind of simple mechanism that would prevent the takeup spool from unwinding - something like a simple gear with teeth and a simple spring that would prevent it from turning back, if you know what I mean...

Anyway, any detailed photos of any of the Zero Image (or other better made wooden cameras), showing the "internals" would be more than welcome - and I promise to post the photos of the resulting prototype pinhol camera once it's done (or IF it's ever done -I've beem mulling over this for more than a year now...)

You can contact me by PM or write directly to:

denple
    (at)
    gmail (com)

TIA,
    Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eh, just as an explanation, before anyone jumps to any conclusion: I'm not going to be selling my DIY cameras: we have a local photo club here, and when the other guys heard I'll be making a wooden pinhole, I immediately got swamped with requests in the like of "Well, make one for me, too!"
    Any, since a friend told me that, as long as I'll be buying some hardware for the camera (bullseye levels, tripod bushings, knobs, etc.), I might as well make several cameras
    So, my design isn't likely to pop up on ebay as an unauthorized Zero Image rippof

I simply like the Zero Image concept: the cameras seem lovely, they seem to work rather well, and seem worth investigating. I thought about buying one for quite some time: however, the price and shipping being what they are, I thought I could as well make my own, since I do have some limited woodworking experience. Attached are some of my DIY experiments
    So, I'm still studying other people's designs in order to decide how to solve some problems (e.g. how the camera is to be closed, etc.).
    TIA,
    Denis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smallbox1.JPG   smallbox2.JPG   smallbox3.JPG   stick1b.JPG   stick2a.JPG  

Last edited by Denis P.; 05-02-2012 at 06:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: getting rid of some typos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you only have limited woodworking experience then the Zero image design would be tricky with the sliding back and light trap turn searching f295.org for lots of ideas.
    http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/forum/Blah.pl?b-cm/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    are you a designer or a copy cat?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    are you a designer or a copy cat?
    Ralph, I thought I answered potential questions like yours in my post above: I am none of those - or perhaps you could call me a "copycat" if you want - but at least I'm not doing this for commercial purposes.
    Like I said, I have been planning to make a DIY wooden pinhole camera for some time, and some guys from my local camera club also expressed interest. So, I guess I'll be making several - for the members of the local photo club, most likely for the price of a beer (or a bottle of wine, more likely).

I am a photography DIY-er, and with the recession these last couple of years, my photographic purchases have dwindled significantly. I'd like to buy a Zero Image, but simply can't justify the cost. So, I'll be making my own, given that I have some simple tools and have done some simple wooden boxes and stuff before.
    But, being the procrastinating type that I am, I have first been seriously studying various wooden pinhole camera designs
    And I'd like to see the insides of a Zero Image, too, since it's by all accounts a very well made (not to mention beautiful) camera.
    Some (photography) stuff I've made (played with):
    http://denis.pleic.com/photo/photo.html

Regards,

Denis the Copycat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Internally they are rather like folding roll-film cameras. A couple of sprung studs for the film spools, with one driven for film advance. The film spool chambers are separated by a wall from the exposure area. Since there is no need for a pressure plate the risk of lateral light leak is higher than with a folder. And you need at least one red window set for the format you are using. Sizing is driven by the film width and the image dimension, with the pinhole quality dictating the depth of the camera for the coverage. I'm not sure actual measurements will be that much help. My 6x9 Zero Image could use a little more inter-frame spacing in fact.

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    SNIP My 6x9 Zero Image could use a little more inter-frame spacing in fact.

Graham
    The framing is set by the film frame numbers not the camera, I think what happens is the film pulls back a bit after you roll forward. I have seen somebody fit a bit of matt board between the camera back and film backing to flatten the film better a maybe that would stop to pulling back too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Denis,

I've just sold a wooden pinhole here on APUG and some photos of it are here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...6-pinhole.html
    Steve.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    There's an entire sub-forum over on f295.org where people post the details of pinhole cameras they have built. I think I've posted four of mine up there and there are dozens more.

http://www.f295.org/Pinholeforum/forum/Blah.pl?b-cm/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all who helped.
    I'm still mulling over the design. I guess I'll make more than one, anyway, so I can experiment. I feel drawn to a design which uses curved film plane - not too difficult to implement, and could yield interesting "panoramic" results.
    I'm currently considering a more practical way of attaching the back: some DIY designs I saw use as much as 4 screws to attach the back to the camera: not very practical, I'm afraid.
    But, I decided to "test the waters" first with a simpler design: a square box that will use my existing roll back & the Grafmatic I have, which will do just fine for starters, I guess

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin