Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,764   Online: 959

Shooter
    35mm

Maximum negative size vs. Aperture vs. focal length?

I want to make a wide-angle pinhole for solargraphs. I have read about a plan for a matchbox pinhole that has an angle of view of about 160 degrees and I wanted to achieve that same range of view, but be able to use 8x10 BW photo paper. If I made a camera with a focal length of about 6-15mm, would I be able to achieve a similar angle of view without an unholy amount of vignetting? Is there a specific formula to find out the maximum negative size in proportion to the focal length and pinhole size before vignetting occurs?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    15mm pinhole and 8x10 image???? Be prepared for a truly hole-y amount of vignetting.

Falloff follows a cos^4 for an ideal pinhole.

For 160 degrees, the half-angle is 80 degrees, cos(80)^4 = 0.0009 = 10 stops down.

But you probably won't be able to get even that unless your pinhole is made in a material that is infinitely thin.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using a cylinder type camera you should be able to get very even exposure and 160* angle of view. Focal length (at center) would be closer to 4".

Here are some 57 I made:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sneebot/3643265909/

Also made a 810 version but haven't used it much.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin