Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,227   Online: 894

Shooter
    35mm

Fixing a solargraph

I've seen some pretty cool solargraphy images, and I know that people usually just take the paper from the camera and immediately scan it. How much are people manipulating the scan afterwards? Has anyone tried fixing their undeveloped paper negative, and then make a print from it using optical means, or does everyone just scan it, invert it, and play with the levels to get a pleasing image?

I've never done this before, and would like to try it in the near future. The suspense is killing me though.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi ME

a solargraph is a pinhole version of what Nicéphore Niépce, one of the early inventors of photogrpahy,
    called a retina print. he used a camera and lens rather than a pinhole.
    solargraphs, unlike lumen prints, are more of a silver stain, not a chemical reaction.
    with lumen prints the emulsion sweats, the plants sweat as they are left in the sun compressed onto the paper,
    so there is a reaction. lumen prints can be fixed and toned. people use gold or selenium or other things to tone them
    and a weak hypo bath to fix the images. from what i understand they print them darker than what they want
    because the fixer bleaches the image and makes it faint ....
    with the retina prints / solar graphs fixer removes the image entirely. it turns the paper completely white.
    i plan on using a super saturated salt solution with my own retina experiments. talbot used a supter saturated
    salt solution to fix/stabalize his images before hypo was suggested, and people here on apug, and elsewhere have used
    salt solutions to fix film, so it is worth a try
    the thing about using a scanner, is that it fogs the image so you only get 1 or 2 tries, it is pretty tricky.
    what i usually do is scan the image barely tweak it in PS.
    i can't speak for anyone else .. who knows maybe they boost it a bit, but probably not ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought these might actually be able to be fixed. Had no idea that fixer would remove the image. I guess its sort of a hybrid process then unless someone can figure out a way to fix the image. They're really interesting images though.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    It could be fun to see what you can make it look like, but it seems out of the spirit of pinholing to do serious editing in PS.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't use PS. I have GIMP. But that's out of the scope of this site. I was looking for an analog way to do this.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wouldn't it be easier to set up a flash / copy stand rig in a darkened room
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought about that, but a contact print would reverse the negative into a positive. I wouldn't get that with a copy stand loaded with negative film and then printed. And I don't have any of the Rollei Digibase negative film lying around either.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ME

i have a job on my plate that is almost out the door
    when it is gone .. i will make a retina print and soak it in
    a salt water fixer for a while and see what happens ..
    it is a very weak fixing solution so it might just work well enough
    to save the image enough to contact print it

i will report back when i find the time to do it

( it won't be more than a few days ... )
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin