Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,698   Online: 1179

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertil View Post
    Dear Simon,
    sad to hear, well as long as 5x7 film is available, it's ok for ME, but...

Never really understood why 4x5 and 8x10 is so popular when 5x7 is so nice!
    Many 5x7 cameras not much bigger than a 4x5, but all 8x10 very clumsy in comparison.
    Don't expect you to solve this lack of my understanding!

Regards
    Bertil
    4 by 5 was popular with press photographers in the 30s and 40s because it was small enough to carry a handfull of film holders in your pocket and run to the scene of a crime, or whatever. The 5-inch wide image also fit on a page easily. The huge user base that built up hung on.

8 by 10 gives you an amazing image, 5 by 7 being somewhat in between those two extremes, it was just the odd size and got bypassed especially now as things are tightening up and manufacturers are looking for what sells the best.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me to the 5x7 lovers. Beautiful format. 8x10 is not bad either but 5x7 is special.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bertil

You are spot on 7 x 5 is a good size. of course 'whole plate' 8.5" x 6.5" was the 'go to' size

Kind Regards

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great news! I will be watching the stores here. Any idea as to expected date availability in Canada?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really love the idea of an 8x10, come on hurry up Harman and Walker!

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm interested in 8x10" for making negatives for contact printing (can't be large enough) with alternate photographic procedures.
    I was planning on ordering a 4x5" version but maybe I'll wait....

I already bought 2 boxes of Ilford Direct Positive Paper FB to use in the pinhole camera.
    See: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...graphic+Papers
    Has anyone of you used this paper already? What are your experiences with it?

BTW: there is a Pinhole Photography & Cameras group on LinkedIn: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    110mm on 8x10 is a very wide angle camera. My pinhole is an 8x10 with a 3in FL and it's sort of a special look camera. One of the problems with a longer FL 8x10 wooden box camera is it gets to be big and heavy. This Ilford design with a light weight cone will make longer FLs easier to use in the field. Ever think of selling the body and cones in different combinations for people who want a different FL then the ones now packaged? I'd like to try something in the 6-7in range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertil View Post
    Dear Simon,
    sad to hear, well as long as 5x7 film is available, it's ok for ME, but...

Never really understood why 4x5 and 8x10 is so popular when 5x7 is so nice!
    Many 5x7 cameras not much bigger than a 4x5, but all 8x10 very clumsy in comparison.
    Don't expect you to solve this lack of my understanding!

Regards
    Bertil
    Pretty easy to understand why it's not more popular - while 5x7 contact prints can look very nice, they're smaller than most people want. 4x5 enlargers are common and nowadays often quite cheap (if you can find one locally or someone willing to ship, in which case the shipping is likely to be more than the cost, but still pretty reasonable.) 5x7 enlargers are far less common and usually more expensive. 8x10 is even harder to enlarger but big enough that many people are satisfied with contact prints.

5x7 is not more popular because it's perceived (rightly or wrongly) as being too big to easily enlarge while being too small to display contact prints. I toy from time to time with the idea of getting an 8x10 but not 5x7, for this very reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rather than make a dedicated 5X7 camera for a limited number of users. Why not an accessory 5X7 adapter back?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HARMAN TiTAN 10 x 8

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Rather than make a dedicated 5X7 camera for a limited number of users. Why not an accessory 5X7 adapter back?
    I was going to mention that. How about a 5x7 (and why not a 4x5 too!!) reducing back?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin