Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,701   Online: 932

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How sharp can you get a pinhole image?

Hi all,

I will be getting into large format photography at some point next year but I am gradually purchasing the parts over time to spread the costs, anyway I have some 5x4 double slides coming in the post for the camera (I don't have yet) and I thought in the interim I might look into pinhole photography. I see that there is a nice guide for an 8x10 pinhole on this forum which looks like you just simply strap the film holder to a recess in the back with some rubber bands lol so I might look at making one of those as it seems pretty simple to make considering its a box with an opening at one end

Anyway, I was just wondering about how sharp you can get a pinhole image, I know that with normal lenses there is a 'sweet spot' with regards to image sharpness and resolution, I am not after anything tack sharp as I don't really want the image to be clinical as it is with some digital images, but not massively blurred.

Is anyone able to post up a pinhole image from a 5x4 camera and let me know what the calculated F stop is for the 'lens'? It would be cool to compare and see what the different effects on the image a small change to the F stop might bring.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    low res scan of a contact
    f/176

Shooter
    35mm
    There is an optimal pinhole diameter for any given format and focal length. Use this caclulator: http://www.mrpinhole.com/calcpinh.php

The difficult part is creating the pinhole itself.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that there are two optimal pinhole diameters,one for resolution and one for sharpness. i suggest optimizing for contrstnd sharpnessas that gets the most apparend sharpness, which the eye appreciates more than resolution. a high-resolution mage canstill look'unsharp'. a low-resolutionbut high-contrast image, on the other hand, looks sharper.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the comments, I might just go with a pre-made laser cut sort, or indeed use a pin/needle of a certain size, for a sheet of 5x4 the optimal specs are apparently:

Focal length = 6.4"
    Pinhole diameter = 0.54mm giving F302
    Angle of view would be 53 degrees

I'm going to get some materials together and have a look at some designs, I need to get development equipment together as well so I have a bit of time before I will be taking any shots with it!

Playing around with some numbers I have found this to be perhaps something to aim for:

5.5" focal
    0.5mm pinhole
    f279
    60 degree FOV
    3 second exposure on a sunny day with ISO 100 film

Looks like if I aim for a pinhole at around 0.5mm and a focal length of around 5.5-6" it should be good for a 5x4.
    Last edited by m1tch; 11-29-2012 at 07:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just start playing withit.pinholes are so much fun and surprisingly good at imaging.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    just start playing withit.pinholes are so much fun and surprisingly good at imaging.
    I will have a go, my 5x4 double dark slides have arrived so I just need to build a camera now lol

Shooter
    35mm
    Foamboard works a treat for the cam body, much easier and quicker than plywood etc. though also weaker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I wanted a sharp pinhole image I'd shoot on 8x10" film and reduce it to 4x5" when printing, that would double the resolution. Though, I'm not sure why I would want to do that, because if I wanted a sharp image I'd just use a lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a 4x5 negative scan:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_WPPD2011_Film_02_1B_SteamLocoCloseup.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	60521

A 0.305 mm pinhole @ 63 mm from the film plane, a relatively wide angle of view.
    Arista ULTRA 100 exposed 8 sec with the f/210 pinhole.

The camera was a relatively fancy project using plywood.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin