Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,853   Online: 918

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alexander. I'm not sure if it's the right focal length, but I wanted something that was on the wide side. If the diagonal of a 5x4 negative is about 150mm, that would give a normal angle of view . so 90- 100 mm should be wide angle. My aim was for a 90mm focal length.. but the woodworking skills aren't that good as it ended up at 88mm Colin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PS
    Aexander.Best of luck with your Christmas project. I hope it all goes well and you post some pictures Colin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ColRay,

AWESOME! Thanks for sharing. Have fun and keep posting the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander S. View Post
    How did you decide on the right "focal" length? I'm thinking of making a 5x7 pinhole camera over Christmas...
    Arguably there is no "right" focal length, but loosely speaking, a focal length equal to the film diagonal is a "normal" angle of view. At extremely wide angles of view, the pinhole -- even if 'perfect" -- becomes a narrow ellipse viewed from toward the edges and you get significant light fall-off. The numbers for my 4x5 referenced above worked out to about 104º angle of view; there's some fall-off but it's tolerable. With a program like Pinhole Designer you can play around with the parameters and see what looks interesting.

In general you set a couple of parameters and calculate the remaining number. For example, pick a film format and pick a pinhole-to-film distance based on angle of view, then calculate the optimum pinhole. Or if you inherited a pinhole plate, you might use that size and a film format to pick an optimum pinhole-to-film distance, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the responses. That's more or less what I thought, but it's nice to have confirmation. I thought ColRay's camera looked shorter than I would have expected, so that makes sense. Both cameras on this thread look similar to what I envision, though more elaborate. DWThomas, I'm curious about your tripod mount. That's the part I can't quite figure out (in my mind, I haven't started building yet). Is that a special part (the one with the four flanges)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tripod mount is a rectangle of plywood drilled and counter-bored to take a 1/4-20 "T-nut." That's a top hat shaped piece with a 1/4-20 thread inside, and some prongs sticking up from the 'brim' that get driven into the wood to prevent rotation. It's a common hardware store item used to provide sturdy metal threads in a wooden part. The plywood rectangle is then attached to the camera box with flathead screws from the inside. My failing on that was the screws were slightly long and the tips ended up being sanded down and showing. In the bit of CAD drawing showing in that picture you can see a crude cross-section of the T-nut in the plywood plate.

I actually used brass screws and stainless steel T-nuts which easily accounted for the bulk of my cost (well, and a can of flat black spray paint!), as most of the wood was leftover scrap.

A sample:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_G0398_Tnut_and_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	60728

The bore in the sketch would be against the camera body and the T-nut would be inverted and inserted in that hole before the block is attached to the camera, capturing the T-nut. I used two, one on the 5 inch side and one on the 4 inch so I can do horizontal or vertical formats.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 12-03-2012 at 10:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, that explains it. Thanks, I'll have to look for one of those T-nuts. That's a good idea having one on each side, it hadn't occurred to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander S. View Post
    Ah, that explains it. Thanks, I'll have to look for one of those T-nuts. That's a good idea having one on each side, it hadn't occurred to me.
    Don't forget the block the light from the holes in the t-nut...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the hammer on 'T' nuts that are made for screw on coffee table legs, they only cost a few dollars for a pack of four. I also use them with a plate the nut fits on the inside of the plate so no hole is needed on the camera body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Don't forget the block the light from the holes in the t-nut...
    Mounting a separate block bearing the T-nut (as I did above) eliminates that problem altogether.

I just realized I do in fact have more details on the tripod mount parts shown in that gallery. Note the T-nut bearing block winds up on the outside of the camera.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 12-04-2012 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin