Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,536   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: URGENT!!!

Shooter
    Large Format

URGENT!!!

I've been helping a friend of mine build a 12 foot square room out in the desert to be a camera obscure as the final project. The house is facing another house that is run down. We're almost done building it but I need some information on pinhole size and material. I've built camera obscuras before and pinhole cameras and generally use soda can metal to make my pinholes out of. However, for his application, the aperture is going to need to be like half an inch in diameter? What would be the best material for him to use? I would think it would be a little difficult making a larger hole in something as thin and flexible as soda can metal. I know that the thinner the material is, the better the image quality, and of course the less reflective it is the better. Also, seeing as he is showing the house on Saturday, the material needs to be readily available at home depot, or a hobby shop,...etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, you don't need to hear from me because I can't help...but, I just have to say that sounds like an awesome project! I'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows what's up!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marenmcgowan View Post
    Ok, you don't need to hear from me because I can't help...but, I just have to say that sounds like an awesome project! I'm sure someone will be along shortly who knows what's up!
    Hahaha, thanks! With his permission, I'll post some photographs of the house once it's built.

Shooter
    35mm
    A flat black painted fender washer should do the trick. Probably thin enough when you think of it as scaled to the camera. If you really want it thinner than that, get some sheet brass from a hobby shop and drill the appropriate hole in it, and hit it with the flat black can.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...-sheet-106617/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    A flat black painted fender washer should do the trick. Probably thin enough when you think of it as scaled to the camera. If you really want it thinner than that, get some sheet brass from a hobby shop and drill the appropriate hole in it, and hit it with the flat black can.
    Ah, a washer! Such a good idea, thank you! I think you're right in regards to material thickness in reference to the size of the room. Would you be able to suggest any types of thin woods that would work well?

Shooter
    35mm
    Lauan (I hope I spelled that right) comes in 4ft x 8ft sheets and is about 1/4 inch thick and would probably work well, unless it's to go on the outside of your camera obscura. For that I would say 1/2 inch plywood.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If the film will be on one wall that is 12 feet away from where the pinhole will be placed the pinhole size will have to be 2.5mm. The opening of a small thin washer may work. Sounds like trip to hardware store with ruler. The f/stop would be 1434
    If film will be closer let me know and I will re-figure size and f/stop

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Since it says you are a large format shooter I would think that taking the front and rear cells out of one of your lenses and the closing the aperture to the right size would be the best way to go. I am sure that like most of us you have a shutter that is broken for speed but the aperture still is able to be set. I would think that f/22 is probably around 2.5mm.
    Drill hole size of rear of shutter, keep it tight and push shutter in set aperture and you are ready to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FMN2 is right, but I just want to see the final images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not use a sheet of roofing tin? Spray paint it flat black.

If the metal is thin enough, you can use a spade bit to drill the hole. It's not optimial but it will work if you don't run the drill too fast.

If you want to make a clean hole that doesn't need to be filed, use a round panel punch. You can get them at Harbor Freight, etc., for cheap.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin