Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,062   Online: 1030

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Film Advice for 8x10

I have a new matboard pinhole camera that I'm having fun with. I made it to use paper negatives, which I like very much for a number of reasons, and that will be the main use. Still, it would be fun to try to use film in it at some point. I was thinking of trying to use something I could develop under a red safelight. The options seem to be: Arista Ortho Litho, Ilford Ortho Plus ( a bit expensive ), green x-ray film or blue x-ray film. I would be contact printing them if that makes any difference ( e.g. not sure if that would matter with the emulsion on both sides of the x-ray film. ) I like the "ortho" look, and I also like the even more old fashioned look of film that is mostly blue sensitive. Any opinions or advice as to which of these might be a good choice? Any experience using them in pinhole? Am I going to run into extreme reciprocity differences between the middle and edges?

Ned
    Last edited by NedL; 03-29-2013 at 09:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: punctuation!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hey ned !

how about some of that ilford DP paper ...
    no contact printing needed

( you will probably need to flash it a little though or use a low contrast / maybe coffee based / developer )

have fun !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, I'll probably try some DP eventually -- agree that sounds like fun. I've got a can of LPD here, but I'll tell you what... if/when I expose some DP I will develop it in coffee based developer in your honor!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NedL I think you be happy with either once you sort out your development and process, I have used both but only briefly the Ortho Lith, Its very thin but does not scratch as easy as the xray film and you get a good tonely range by using diluted development like rodinal 1:200. It very slow compared to Xray like ISO1.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll weigh in and say I've used the Arista Ortho before for pinhole work and I liked the results just fine. You can't beat the price either.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got me some Maco Genius film (18x24 cm) I want to try. I also got me a bottle of Maco Ecoprint developer for this film.
    Maco Genius is perfect for contact printing, even with alternative processes like gum printing or Salt printing.

And maybe try some developing Genius film with Cafenol as well? Never done Cafenol, but should be possible as well ....
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you everyone! It sounds like ortho litho would be good. Bert, no Genius film available here as far as I know, but that sounds like a similar graphics art copy film. I will get some when I make an order at Freestyle. Wow it sounds like it's going to be even slower than paper! I think it is kind of fun counting out whole minutes for pinhole photos...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look on EBay for item #170788982651

It's 8x10 Fuji HRT. I rate it ASA 200. It's ortho film which I process under a safelight. It's about $32 per box of 100. One piece of advice while processing. Handle with care because the it scratches easily when wet.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Well, if you're going to go with an ortho film, then I would recommend using x-ray. I use it quite a bit (green sensitive). It's cheap. Just be careful as many x-ray films have emulsion on both sides and scratch easily when wet. You can get a 100 sheet box for around $40. I just checked ebay, and some people are actually selling 100 sheet boxes for ridiculous prices like $400 and $1000 for 14x17 (which I use sometimes). Try actual suppliers like cxsonline. Prints are quite sharp for contact printing. Reciprocity isn't too bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone... it sounds like I can do well with any of these choices. The price of x-ray film is hard to beat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin