Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,630   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some screw hooks and rubber bands is all I ever use to keep film holders in place with my LF pinhole cameras. Send me your holder dimensions and I'll cut some pieces for you(though I dont forsee it getting completed by Sunday). I come down to the McKeesport/White Oak/Monroeville area every couple of weeks and will be there the first weekend of May(I was just there last weekend).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just under the wire for WPPD -- my 8x10 design appears in my PBase galleries.

(Hope I'm not too tired to get out there with it!)

A scanned and inverted copy of the second test shot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ap_PH8x10_Test_02_Inverted.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	67940

15 minutes on AristaEDU RC #2 graded paper, 4 minutes in Dektol 1+7. The exposure was dragged out, as by the time this sucker was ready to try, day was dying in the west!

Hopefully more will appear elsewhere after daylight ends tomorrow.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Just under the wire for WPPD -- my 8x10 design appears in my PBase galleries.
    A scanned and inverted copy of the second test shot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ap_PH8x10_Test_02_Inverted.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	67940
    15 minutes on AristaEDU RC #2 graded paper, 4 minutes in Dektol 1+7. The exposure was dragged out, as by the time this sucker was ready to try, day was dying in the west!
    Hi Dave,
    The larger the camera the more you'll get light fall-off (vignetting) at the borders. Especially at a scene like in your 2nd shot.
    Did you ever try to dodge & burn inside the camera? The principles are the same as in a darkroom.
    Here is an example; how to & demonstration:
    http://www.wretch.cc/blog/jerry7000/15984406
    Bert from Holland
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Hi Dave,
    The larger the camera the more you'll get light fall-off (vignetting) at the borders. Especially at a scene like in your 2nd shot.
    Did you ever try to dodge & burn inside the camera? The principles are the same as in a darkroom.
    Here is an example; how to & demonstration:
    http://www.wretch.cc/blog/jerry7000/15984406
    Bert from Holland
    Compensating is an interesting idea (but complicated!) I disagree that it's the camera size, it's the angle of view. As you move off-axis, the round pinhole becomes an ellipse and ultimately narrows to zero minor axis dimension at points 90º off the optical axis. (In real life it happens well before that from mounting hardware, thickness of the pinhole plate etc.)

In my shot above, I think the fall-off is only minor. I'm on a wooded property and the sun was about 30 minutes from dipping below the western horizon. So all the trees and shrubs at the sides and foreground were in shadow while the wooded slope in the background was getting direct light.

I'll post some of today's effort later. So far I see one design shortcoming -- I need to add a handle. With no filmholder, the back is open, so carrying it around the workshop was no problem. Alas, in the field, with the filmholder making it a closed box, it's a bit awkward to handle. The weight is not too bad, 2.23 Kg with filmholder (less than five pounds), but switching cameras, even with quick releases, was a pain because it's difficult to handle and control with one hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And it just hit me, in addition to the pinhole appearing elliptical (smaller effective aperture) off-axis, the distance from the pinhole to film is also increasing, shrinking the effective size even more. So those two effects compound things. I could probably figure out an equation, but since I retired I don't do trigonometry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Fall-off with pinholes in thin material is equal to the cosine of the angle raised to the 4th power. This means a pinhole camera with a corner to corner coverage of 90 degrees will lose two stops of illumination in the corner, or a bit more if the pinhole edges aren't perfectly sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    And it just hit me, in addition to the pinhole appearing elliptical (smaller effective aperture) off-axis, the distance from the pinhole to film is also increasing, shrinking the effective size even more. So those two effects compound things. I could probably figure out an equation, but since I retired I don't do trigonometry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim,

(from lazy Dave)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin