Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,714   Online: 935

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: F-stop scale

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the advise Jim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marciofs View Post
    Thank you for the advise Jim.
    Jim, thanks from me too. That is a great idea that seems obvious now that I hear it.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I sometimes just hold my hand above the camera thus casting a shade onto the pinhole, but staying out of the angle of view.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    I sometimes just hold my hand above the camera thus casting a shade onto the pinhole, but staying out of the angle of view.
    Me too, and it made me laugh to think of what it did to me a couple months ago. I made a darkroom print using a homemade easel and there was a funny dark area in the upper corner of the print. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what caused it ( filter ring, easel, homemade negative carrier, what could it be?... ) and finally looked at the negative and saw that it was in there the frame. Then at last I looked in my notebook and it said I was worried about flare and had made a second picture shading the lens with my hand!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I purchased the Ilford Harman-Titan pinhole camera it came with an exposure calculator.
    I colour copied this and laminated the thing, then cut the pieces out and put it together with a type of cutter pin.
    Works great.
    But, if possible and available, I like to start the metering with one of my Sekonics and then extrapolate.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    When I purchased the Ilford Harman-Titan pinhole camera it came with an exposure calculator.
    I colour copied this and laminated the thing, then cut the pieces out and put it together with a type of cutter pin.
    Works great.
    But, if possible and available, I like to start the metering with one of my Sekonics and then extrapolate.
    This is what I did.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

lightmeter on smart phone for pinhole use

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    Works great.
    An other simple solution: I use the Pocket Light Meter app on my iPhone (also available for android). This app has a minimal ISO setting of 0.8 and maximum aperture of f/512 so very usefull for pinhole photography. It is very accurate too (I tested it). The app is free (with small add in top of screen) or $1.00 add free.
    See: http://www.pocketlightmeter.com/

You can HOLD the screen - holding your last reading. You can also take a small snapshot to log the used settings - and add some notes. It can also sync with Dropbox to save the snapshots. Coming back home I check the snapshots to see what settings I used when & where: the file names show date & time stamp. Here is an example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20-may-2013-15-46.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	69052

Here is a small test of this app: http://thephotobrigade.com/2012/06/p...-by-c-s-muncy/
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 05-20-2013 at 11:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* "So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you." (the original Willy Wonka: Gene Wilder, 1971)
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks,
    I will try this app.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin