Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,666   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

Pocket Light Meter app: suitable for pinhole photography

Normally I calculate my exposure times for pinhole photography by guesstimation, especially when I use my converted Gevabox or Agfa Clack. But sometimes I want to measure the light more securely. When I didn't bring my real light meter, I use the Pocket Light Meter app on my iPhone (also available for android). This app has a minimal ISO setting as low as 0.8 and maximum aperture as high as f/512. This makes this app very usefull for pinhole photography and for using photo paper as a negative. And it is very accurate too. I compared it with my digital camera.

The app is free (with a small add in the top of screen) or only $1.00 for the add free version.
    See for more info:http://www.pocketlightmeter.com.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightmeter-app-screenshots.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	239.9 KB 
ID:	69081

The app has some nice features. It shows also the EV values, if desired. And you can "HOLD" the screen - holding your last reading. You can also take a small snapshot to log the used settings - and add some notes.
    This is an example of the snapshot (jpg, 150 KB):

Name:	20-may-2013-15-46.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	69082

The app can also sync with Dropbox to save the snapshots for later. Coming back home you can check the snapshots to see what settings you used when & where: the file name contains a date & time stamp. Here you'll find a small test of this app:http://thephotobrigade.com/2012/06/p...-by-c-s-muncy/

A nice app for pinhole photography!

"Have fun and catch that lightbeam"
    Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl .
    http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Is there an app that suggests I switch off the phone and think about how I may creatively and independently research an area of interest and possible solutions to a given problem? If so it would be a welcome addition to communication technology.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is there an app that suggests I switch off the phone and think about how I may creatively and independently research an area of interest and possible solutions to a given problem? If so it would be a welcome addition to communication technology.
    Is this what you meant?

Name:	calvin-perspective.gif 
Views:	69 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	69084
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sekonic L308. No bells and whistles. No wings and things.
    A pinhole camera does not require nail-biting accuracy; it's a bit of fun and the at times unexpected results are part of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Outsourced thinking. The scourge of the digital gadget generation.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Is this what you meant?

Name:	calvin-perspective.gif 
Views:	69 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	69084
    I'm partial to the one where Calvin's dad explains why pictures were black and white. If you haven't read it look it up!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Using a Sekonic meter is also cheating - it uses a phototransistor and then a digital microcontroller to calculate the exposure. Thus, it is a digital device. The only kosher way is to guess your exposure. REAL photographers never produce a well exposed negative.

Wink wink.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Sekonic L308. No bells and whistles. No wings and things.
    A pinhole camera does not require nail-biting accuracy; it's a bit of fun and the at times unexpected results are part of it.
    You think the iphone app is more accurate than the L308? I don't think so. It has lots more features more calculations but no more accurate. All the calculations you can do even with pencil and paper but the difficult thing is to measure the light accurately and I doubt that any phone app is more accurate than a decent light meter like the L308.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about accuracy, but I do know that the app was very useful on my long drive last fall (9000 mile by myself). I am useless at taking notes and the Pocket Light Meter allowed me to take a meter reading (always matched up with my other meters, by the way), snap a quick shot of the scene and later have all the information I needed for the negative file. I was often shooting a Speed Graphic and I had boxes of negatives once I got home. Now I can look at a single photograph and go to the file on my computer that has a location stamp and exposure info recorded for that scene.

Many of us like shooting with "outdated" equipment, often utilizing our own sense of the scene, avoiding extra technological screens that can distract as much as aid us, whether they are alkali-battery operated, selenium cell or smart phone. Let's not become so technophobic as to miss an opportunity when one presents itself, even if it's on an iPhone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin