Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,647   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

New to Pinhole photography.

I've never "shot" with a pinhole camera, but I do have some 8x10 film holders and a new box of Arista EDU 100. I'm looking for some plans for an 8x10 pinhole I can make out of foam core. Ideally something cheap that I can throw together in a few hours. The ability to take film holders is a must. I have the tools to make one, just need some plans.

To start out I'll probably make the pinhole with a very small sewing needle on aluminium foil, and shoot a sheet and go from there.

Any input?

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Make a box out of black foam core. The back should be inset to hold the film holder. A couple of pieces of elastic will hold the film holder in place.

Recommend you start by using 8x10 PAPER. It's cheaper and you can develop it under a safe light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foam core sounds like a good idea. You may find useful materials at an art/craft store (like Micheal’s or Pat Catan's).

I made my first pinhole out of a cigarillo box from a cigarette store; it was 4x5. I drilled an hole in the lid and hot-glued a piece of flattened Pepsi can that was painted black, and made the hole in the can with an insulin needle from my father. Some balsa wood to make light-traps, glue, and black paint, and I was in business. It was quite cheap to make.

Like you, I want to make one that will take film holders (though I may stick to 4x5 for now).

This site has some useful information:
    http://mrpinhole.com/

Don't get too fancy with your first attempt - you'll likely come up with design improvements after you use it a couple times.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done a 4x5, and this year, an 8x10, that were done as rather serious woodworking projects.
    4x5 box
    8x10 monster

The general idea of the 4x5, a rectangular box with three sides extended in the back to hold the filmholder could probably be imitated/adapted in foamcore (and scaled up in size to 8x10). I doubt you could use rubber bands the way I did to tie down the holder as they generate a fair amount of stress. Maybe some sort of elastic (Velcro?) that wraps around the whole box would work.

It might be worth considering some 3/8 or 1/2 inch square "sticks" - maybe available in basswood at hobby shops -- glued into some of the corners to toughen corner joints in a box big enough for 8x10.

On the 8x10 I used six inch pinhole-to-film spacing and a 22 mil (.56 mm) pinhole. Gives about a 92º angle of view at the diagonal -- pretty wide but not outrageous fall-off.

Another APUGer's effort at 8x10 is pictured here but I'm not sure of all the details.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some really good ideas, I looked at Michaels and they have foam core on sale for $1 a sheet, plus I have a coupon for another 50% off for labor day weekend, so I might just stock up and get 50 sheets and make a few and see what design works best before I transfer it to wood.

DaveT: I like that 8x10 you built. Thats pretty much what I want to do.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

We ah hunting wabbets

Pick up one of these rabbet cutters for 3/16" foamcore. The rabbets will aid in gluing joints.

Link to info

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Don't get too fancy with your first attempt - you'll likely come up with design improvements after you use it a couple times.
    This might be the best advice of all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go to http://home.online.no/~gjon/pinhole.htm for information and more links.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Going to order this next week when I get paid

http://www.pinholeresource.com/index...ret-kit-detail

Sure its expensive, but when you think of what it offers I believe its a good deal, plus it mounts in a copal 0/1 lens board so I can also use it with my existing LF cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbeech View Post
    Make a box out of black foam core. The back should be inset to hold the film holder. A couple of pieces of elastic will hold the film holder in place.

Recommend you start by using 8x10 PAPER. It's cheaper and you can develop it under a safe light.
    It might be a silly question but how do you get a positive image from a paper?
    "The problem with photography is that it only deals with appearances." Duane Michals

"A photograph is a secret of a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." Diane Arbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin