Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

-

Modest article on measuring light with a metre.
    Sekonic blog
    Last edited by PhotoBob; 05-27-2013 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think he can't spell "meter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, he knows how to spell.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, the wrong meter is annoying, especially for us metric folk... Otherwise, the article is interesting!

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I think he can't spell "meter
    Hi pdeeh,
    you're wrong: Bob's Sekonic is a French model, see: http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/C-5...ual_French.pdf
    Also called: "un instrument demesure de la lumière".
    And a beautiful language it is, French! I'm still sorry I didn't learn it properly in High School.
    If you don't know what French sounds like, watch the movie "Intouchables" (French version with English subtitles). You'll laugh your "chaussettes" off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intouchable.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	69339

Hi Bob,
    I like your conclusion in the article: "Even with metering, pinhole photography is not an exact process, which makes it somewhat artistically unique, challenging but enjoyable. I believe there is something significant to be said for the immediate unknown … for patience … for critical thinking … for anticipation when waiting for paper or film to be processed."
    I totally agree. Using digital aids isn't forbidden (not even for artists) but in the end, it still is only an end to a mean (or whatever the phrase is...). Pinhole is a way of live, not an technique.

My only problem with (most of) the light meters is being unable to set for ISO 1 and f/512, thus having to make do with tables, calculating, etc.
    I now use a simple app (see also: http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/pi...otography.html) or even better: guestimation. If you use your pinhole camera often enough, you'll get the hang of it.
    It worked well for me at my shoot on WPPD 2013.

But it is always nice to be able to measure with a proper light meter, especially when I use a camera like my Leica III (1936) or my Bronica SQ-B.
    Every photographer should have a handheld light meter, just for the sake of it....
    I myself use Gossen light meters. The Gossen Digisix is very small and can even be attached onto your camera.

Name:	digisix-on-camera.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	69340
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's amazing what people will overlook.

Here is his first paragraph, quoted directly :

Quote Originally Posted by Bob St. Cyr
    Even before I added pinhole imaging to my fine-art photographic practice, I saw the value in having a handheld light metre. My first light metre was the Sekonic L-408, which is a great metre with a fixed 5° spot as well as the incident dome. Some of the things I like about this metre ...
    That is not how you spell "meter" when referring to a measuring device.

A "metre" as the rest of us Europeans know, is a measure of length

In his next paragraph he reverts to conventional spelling of "meter", however, but then goes on to use "meter" and "metre" indifferently throughout the rest of the article.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Meter

Why is there such a fuss over one single word.

Unfortunately, you are missing the point about the article.
    It was about one man's experience measuring light for making pinhole exposures.

Sorry for spelling one word wrong ... does it affect the content of the article?

Maybe Bob should just keep all his experiences, skills and knowledge to himself ... silence is golden I guess.
    Last edited by PhotoBob; 05-31-2013 at 03:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

I do it (maybe) in a little more practical way:

- My pinhole camera (Zero 45) has many different focal lengths and pinhole diameter combinations, and
    - My meter measures up to F32. (Sekonic L-208)
    Therefore,
    - I meter for F32 then multiply this with a factor determined before (more on this below), and then
    - If the resulting exposure time exceeds 1 sec. I further adjust it for reciprocity failure using this (Ilford) formula: New time = Calculated time ^ 1.48 or in Excel notation: New time = POWER(Calculated time, 1.48)

It's hard to remember and calculate each factor, therefore I prepared a simple Excel chart, printed it, and had it laminated with PVC. I keep this chart (and a scientific calculator) with the camera all the time...

See the chart (and the two formulas that I've used) below:

Formula #1:

Name:	Pinhole-Calculation-Table-Formula_1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	69553

Formula #2:

Name:	Pinhole-Calculation-Table-Formula_2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	69554

Hope this helps if you ever need to make your own practical exposure calculation charts,
    Loris.

P.S. Beware, the reciprocity failure correction formula applies only to Ilford B&W films!
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 05-31-2013 at 03:55 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added P.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't see how one little word could be so annoying ... I just don't get it.
    Is there no substance to the article.
    Is this forum part of the issue I wonder.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it come down to the fact the basically people are rude. It doesn't matter what work somebody put into some thing people will find the smallest issue and harp on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin