Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,524   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Beginners Question

Ground Glass,
    Here is a basic question that betrays my lack of experience with pinhole photography.
    If I use an 8x10 view camera, with a pinhole attached to the lens board, will I be able to see an image on ground glass" This assumes enough lighting.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In theory, but it will be too dark in reality. You will have to aim the camera without the aid of the ground glass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    probably not.Maybe a glimmer of the brightest of the bright. Speciuar reflections.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Assuming that you have aimed the camera at something lit by sunlight and you keep your head under the dark cloth for about 20 minutes, probably yes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, all
    What I have in mind is to use 4 150W daylight bulbs. I gust godda try it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Thanks, all
    What I have in mind is to use 4 150W daylight bulbs. I gust godda try it.
    Stick to sunlight.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using my Tachihara 8x10 camera which has a bright ground glass and fresnel I can see the image of a sunny day landscape made by a f600 pinhole after a few seconds of dark adaption under the focussing cloth. In practice I use a big pinhole with a bright but blurry view for composing the picture and then replace it with the small pinhole for the actual photograph.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hello,
    I have attached a 0.672mm pinhole to my 5x7 wooden plate camera. It is dark outside and my only lighting has been 1 40W incandescent bulb and one of the new fluorescent bulbs that are taking the place of incandescent bulbs for home use. The bulbs are both near the ceiling. Even without taking much time for my eyes to adjust, I am able to look through the ground glass and discern objects . This is very good news for me, as I like to be able to see my image before I waste a plate. The pinhole was made for me by BOWART. ,an APUG member. He made the holes by drilling/filing under projected magnification. I have recently tried to contact him, but he has not responded. I am very encouraged by tonight's observations. I will have some much smaller pinholes etched. I am just working with what I have for now.
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have been reading about procedures for making pinholes used by various companies selling them for various purposes.
    The laser drilled method, according to some companies, is the least desirable. Next up the ladder is mechanically drilled holes. Finally, etched holes are at the top. Some companies etch from both side, yielding what is claimed to be superior sidewalls.
    Are there any comments, especial from those who disagree?
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen great pinhole images from all sorts of holes including handmade, ones. If create a good image nobody will care what type of hole it is.
    Maris way of using a 6mm hole for framing is the best way to view on the ground glass. Most just draw some framing lines on the top and side of the camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin