Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,886   Posts: 1,520,675   Online: 1136

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New to pinholes/what about filters

I've just exposed my first roll of film (Tmax 100) in my Zero Image 6X9 and was quite pleased with the exposures (proper density). I used an Olympus OM 2S with a 21mm lens as my viewfinder and a Pentax digital spot meter to determine exposure. Guess I had my feet firmly planted in three centuries. The question I have is if anyone is using filters with their pinhole cameras and if so, how might they be attaching them? Any advice is appreciated. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Filters...

Quote Originally Posted by nsurit
    I've just exposed my first roll of film (Tmax 100) in my Zero Image 6X9 and was quite pleased with the exposures (proper density). I used an Olympus OM 2S with a 21mm lens as my viewfinder and a Pentax digital spot meter to determine exposure. Guess I had my feet firmly planted in three centuries. The question I have is if anyone is using filters with their pinhole cameras and if so, how might they be attaching them? Any advice is appreciated. Bill Barber
    Bill,

I usually use old Large Format shutters for my Pinhole cameras. The old Kodak slip-on, friction-fit Wratten filter holders (Series V, VI, or VII, depending on the old lens size) work quite well. I use the different filters such as the Aero Yellow, K2, Green & Red to change the contrast of B&W film- especially if I'm using out of date Polaroid (cheap!). I use a couple of the Color filters to warm up the usual bluish color shift, again especially with Polaroid.

You can tape a 55mm x 55mm plastic cut-to-size filters on the inside of the Zero Image, using black photo tape... I think that's what Zernike Au suggests on his site:
    (http://www.zeroimage.com/web2003/Fee..._a_2003.htm#22).

Happy Pinholing!
    John (Alpha Flying Monkey) Moore
    http://www.flyingmonkeystudio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you made the mistake of buying any Cokin filters, believing they had decent optical properties, now is the time to put them to good use by taping them in place. You may be able to use your standard glass filters by taping them in place. I think it would be easier to hinge a plastic or gelatin filter to drop over the pinhole when you open the sliding "shutter" of the Zero Image cameras. I haven't tried it but it looks feasible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just use an old filter with the glass removed. File down the male threads, glue the ring to the camera & screw in any filter of the appropriate size. (I used 58mm for clearance.)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin