Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,455   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Question about camera film?

This might sound like a really dumb question, but I don't know ANYTHING about cameras or film so... my dad bought me a Diana F+, and it requires 120 film. I was looking up all these different types of film I could use that give really cool effects.
    My questions is, when I'm using film #1, and let's say I wanted to use film #2, can I just simply remove film #1, or do I have to completely finish film #1 and get it developed before using film #2?
    Ken

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You have to finish one roll, or at least wind it to the end for processing, before putting in a new roll. Once it's wound up and taped, you can't put it back in the camera, at least not easily. The Diana F+ only shoots 12 exposures per roll, so it's not such a long wait between film changes.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    120 film goes from the new roll onto the spool from the last roll. Only one direction, as David indicates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Ken, take your time you will love film.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I am going to recommend that you start with a color print film that uses C-41 process so that you can have it developed at a local or mail order lab for the lowest cost. Just for your first couple of rolls. I would also recommend going to Youtube and watching a 120 film loading tutorial or two. It couldnt hurt.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    I am going to recommend that you start with a color print film that uses C-41 process so that you can have it developed at a local or mail order lab for the lowest cost. Just for your first couple of rolls. I would also recommend going to Youtube and watching a 120 film loading tutorial or two. It couldnt hurt.
    +1

The first thing to learn about 120 film (especially compared to 35mm cartridges) is that IT WILL UNROLL ITSELF UNLESS YOU HOLD IT PROPERLY when loading. Once you've dropped the spool and you've got one end of the paper in your hand, it's kinda dead.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    get yourself some asa 400 color print film and shoot the whole roll. No you can't take it out halfway and put it back in. Make sure you wind until you can see number 1 in the red window on the back of the camera ... it takes a bit, be patient.

If you can, ask at the local college or even a high school where they teach photography -- or here's a great idea-- go down to the local senior center -- and find someone who is familiar with film cameras that use 120 film who can give you a primer on using the camera -- it's VERY simple, but if you've never done film you can use a run-through.

I bet you anything you'll find someone at the senior center who used cameras like the holga/Diana when he/she was a kid and will be happy to show you how to use yours in exchange for a cup of coffee and some patient listening.

if ur anywhere near Ogden, Utah, look me up, I'll give you a roll of film and half an hour at Sadie's coffee shop on two-bit street and all you have to do is buy the coffee.--charlie trentelman. I'm in the book.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have thousands of dollars worth of cameras, but the only picture I have in a museum collection was taken with a Diana F+! Everyone here has good tips. Here's a video showing how to load the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OispKRvjMys

A nice thing about the Diana F+ is that there are many creative things you can do with it. Multiple exposures, panoramas, pinhole, light painting, you can really do a lot. Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    I have thousands of dollars worth of cameras, but the only picture I have in a museum collection was taken with a Diana F+! Everyone here has good tips. Here's a video showing how to load the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OispKRvjMys

A nice thing about the Diana F+ is that there are many creative things you can do with it. Multiple exposures, panoramas, pinhole, light painting, you can really do a lot. Have fun!
    You're beating me, I've got thousands in equipment and 0 prints in a museum...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    there should have been an instruction booklet with the camera.

try this site after you read it

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/aboutus/page.asp?n=31

Start saving money for equipment...
    Last edited by Xmas; 02-22-2014 at 04:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin