Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,834   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Constructing a 10x8 camera - Stanford style?

Has anyone here constructed a foamboard pinhole camera à la Stanford (http://pinhole.stanford.edu/foamcore.html) ?

I've long wanted to do some 10x8 pinhole work, and I've finally acquired a couple of 10x8 backs at not-too-excessive a price, so I now need to make a camera on which to mount them.

I have nothing remotely approaching a workshop, so am limited to what I can build on my kitchen worktop with the most basic tools - in essence, an Xacto knife and a steel ruler. The Stanford approach has the merits of requiring only the tools I have and inexpensive materials, plus it has step-by-step instructions that it appears even an oaf such as myself could follow.

SO ... the question is simply, is there any reason why I should not be able to simply scale up the Stanford dimensions (for a 5x4 camera) up by a factor of 2 to build myself a 10x8?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the article you link to already has film back dimensions for 5x7 and 8x10 versions. So I would think it should scale up nicely. The pinhole will presumably scale up also and the calculators around the Internet can handle that.

I have more or less scaled up from 4x5 to 8x10, although the actual construction details are different. My 4x5 is pretty similar to that foamcore camera, but made with plywood and some reinforcing framing.. The 8x10 is fancier, but I have a fair accumulation of woodworking tools. For me, the camera building is almost as interesting as the photographic results!
    Last edited by DWThomas; 03-01-2014 at 04:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More complete info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks.

Yep, I assumed that as they had bothered to put the 10x8 dimensions for the back, it would be OK ... but you never know, this LF stuff can be a bit voodoo so I thought I'd ask

I've been shooting lots of rolls in my Zero45+Horseman 6x7 back, which has produced some marvellous results, but really what I want to do is make big contacts,though I'll start with paper negs.

Off at a small tangent and off topic for this particular subforum, but just tonight I found a blog page where someone describes building a lensed (and focusable but without bellows) 10x8 out of foamcore too ... this has Given Me Ideas ... with a barrel lens it could be possible to go 10x8 for <£100 and the darkslides would be the biggest part of that cost ...

Shooter
    35mm

fun guys

You guys are fun. I am putting together a FrankenGraphic, a Crown Graphic from various parts, so I will have a 4x5. But what I really want is to make my own 8x10 camera. Including making my own film holder. Or maybe it will be a one-shot camera where I load a piece of printing paper in the darkroom and have one shot. I want each 8x10 to be a original, not a neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    thanks.

Yep, I assumed that as they had bothered to put the 10x8 dimensions for the back, it would be OK ... but you never know, this LF stuff can be a bit voodoo so I thought I'd ask

I've been shooting lots of rolls in my Zero45+Horseman 6x7 back, which has produced some marvellous results, but really what I want to do is make big contacts,though I'll start with paper negs.

Off at a small tangent and off topic for this particular subforum, but just tonight I found a blog page where someone describes building a lensed (and focusable but without bellows) 10x8 out of foamcore too ... this has Given Me Ideas ... with a barrel lens it could be possible to go 10x8 for <£100 and the darkslides would be the biggest part of that cost ...

lots of fun to be had making cameras

hope ypurs is cheap as dirt and a blast to use!
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    a one-shot camera where I load a piece of printing paper in the darkroom and have one shot. I want each 8x10 to be a original, not a neg.
    If I can find the patience to experiment properly once I have the big pinhole camera together, I'm going to have a go at reversal processing the paper negatives. The process is the same as doing film reversal, but I can imagine needing a bit of planning and a lot of trays for the different stages. Much easier when just pouring chemicals in and out of a tank ...

The blog post about making a foamboard lensed 10x8 is here by the way http://grahamvasey.wordpress.com/201...y-10x8-camera/. He seems to have been posting on APUG at one time, but not for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    lots of fun to be had making cameras
    I might change my name to Miroslav ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and the darkslides would be the biggest part of that cost ...
    I was going to do an 8X10 version of this camera, but decided to go for the 4X5 when I found some 4X5 film holders for under $5 each. They are wooden, but since I'm doing paper negs, as long as they are light tight it will be OK.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Has anyone here constructed a foamboard pinhole camera à la Stanford (http://pinhole.stanford.edu/foamcore.html) ?
    Yes. My son and I built the 4x5 from these plans some years ago. He made a very simple pinhole (literally) in a piece of aluminum foil. It worked very well and made beautiful photos. I could probably dig up a few examples if you're interested.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did one sorta similar last year for the same reason. I didn't find the Stanford instructions, so I made mine kinda by feel (and with lots of tape and glue). It worked ok, but wasn't very sturdy so I haven't used it much. It's still in the PA house, but if I can find a picture of it or with it, I'll post back. I had a thread on here about it, so there might be a photo of it in there, but I'm not sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you everyone for your enthusiastic and encouraging responses.

The DDSes arrived today, and I had failed to visualise properly just how big the damn things are (yes, yes, I know there's a clue in the name "10x8", but that just means a sheet of paper to me ... )

So I've doubled my order of foamboard, and I think I'm going to need a bigger roll of duct-tape ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin