Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

is it easy to breakdown the percentage of pinholers that use paper negatives?

I am new to this forum and have a simple question…...I am just about to use my newly fabricated pinhole camera using 4x5 sheet film, but I am curious….would anyone like to take a stab at the percentage of folks who shoot paper negatives as opposed to film negatives? thanks…lloyd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I rarely do pinhole since the demise of Polaroid sheet product, but when I do it is film negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm in the 5.37% that use paper negatives. I also looked around the other day and realized I no longer shoot film in my view cameras. Just paper negatives and homemade dry-plates. I thought that was neat. No wonder the film industry is in decline.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    seriously, do you feel you are in the minority, that use paper negatives? Do you scan the paper negatives and print digitally or do you use another process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would that be people that use paper negatives a 100% of the time or only some time as that will change the ratio quite a bit. Then where do people that use X-ray film, are they seen as film or paper personal I think there somewhere in the middle. I think the answer is a friendly No.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd528 View Post
    seriously, do you feel you are in the minority, that use paper negatives? Do you scan the paper negatives and print digitally or do you use another process?
    The 5.37% remark was more tongue-in-cheek. I'm of the opinion that most pinholers use 35mm or 120 film.

As for myself, I contact-print my paper negatives.

Of course I could be completely wrong about all of this. I could have been in a majority all of this time, and not have known it.
    Last edited by DannL.; 03-03-2014 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've built a pinhole camera (yet to use it) and plan on using paper negatives. I don't forsee using sheet film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in the same boat, I've built a camera and wondering what to put in it. I've done the first few shots with Kodalith, but I've only got so much of that to go around, and op is op.

With the demise (but hopefully the resurrection later) of Harman DPP it's negatives and contact prints all the way for me, my scanner can only take 8x10/A4 and my pinhole cameras go a lot bigger than that.

But I feel it's a bit of a waste to use real film, especially with the expense, there's no need for such high-resolution films when it's only contact printed and pinholes diffract the hell out of it anyway.

The only reason I can see to use film is for the speed. I keep seeing the same guy selling 320TXP in 5x7" for $1.50 a sheet on fleabay (it hasn't even expired yet) and contemplating whether to bite, until I compare that to MGiv at 40c a sheet in 5x7". Plus paper goes a lot bigger and stays relatively cheap (even 11x14" MGiv is only $1.70 a sheet).

Paper (esp contact-printed to paper positive) also gives a bit more 'rusticness' to the image imho, and isn't that what pinhole should be?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't forget to try Harman Direct-Positive as well. The result is then a unique one-off print, rather than a negative (paper or film) which can be contact-printed.

If you find it necessary, the Direct Positive paper can be easily flashed in advance of use for coping with contrasty lighting, assuming that you have some sort of darkened room available. Do it in the same way as for flashing a normal print - choose some level of flashing-exposure below that which gives the first visible grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the pinhole groups at Ipernity, my impression is that most pinholers use film. I use paper negatives and color instant film. I've never used normal film in a pinhole camera... although I've seen some color film results that tempt me to try it! I make contact prints and also scan/invert with paper negatives. And by the way I love paper negatives and honestly believe that they are a very legitimate and beautiful form of photography, and are not just for testing cameras or being cheap.

Edit to add: also I have no intention of stopping use of paper negatives and have never thought of them as a stepping stone to film or that I'd "graduate" to film or anything like that. If anything, just the opposite and they have sparked an interest in calotypes and other paper-based photography!

Edited again to add: Also there is a paper negatives group here at APUG:

http://www.apug.org/forums/groups/paper-negative.html

It would be fun if it got some activity!
    Last edited by NedL; 03-03-2014 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin