Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,404   Online: 831

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It belongs in art with oil painting and lithography.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chemical photography is another art, separate and distinct from digital. As different as pastels are from oils or watercolor or spray paint on a box car. Why do schools still have jazz bands, another all-but-dead-to-the-public genre of music? Chemical photography, especially with cameras using no electricity, is as challenging to the performer as is jazz interpretation and improvisation. It demands that the serious student explore and understand the fundamentals of light and shadow, chemistry, exposure, optics, composition, even geometry and algebra. Where else could you combine an empty oatmeal box and a soda can to capture infra-red light in the first week of class?
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    It belongs in art with oil painting and lithography.
    +1

But remember there is a subtle difference between wanting to master using photographic printing techniques and to master making photographic art, so be sure what your focus is during the course. They surely both need each other in a symbiotic kind of way, so it is good to have some basic knowledge of both (and its history) either way.
    But in the end both have a different goal in itself. So know what you're striving for.

Besides that, it has never hurt any photographer to have made a pinhole image, a paper negative, a silver print or even an alt-photo process print (like gum, salt, bromoil, carbon, cyanotype, albumen, etc.) once in his lifetime. It will for sure enrich his vision on (the possibilities in) life and art.

( I guess, but what do I know ...)
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 05-05-2014 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a fun, hands on activity.
    We spend way too much time on computers already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The development of photography as a skill and later, perhaps by choice, as a profession, depends not so much on technology, bells and whistles and how many megapixels are desired, but a functional foundation in traditional analogue photographic theory and pratice that is built up over time, not overnight. Toay, in the digital world, this is sadly too obviously lacking. Photographers are more than happy to credit their "skill" to the newest camera they have, accompanied usually by a threadbear understanding of traditional photographic techniques and methodology. Around us, people are only too chuffed to tell us that "film is dead", not knowing that those who use it are by and large a highly skilled and experienced number of individuals both in amateur and long-standing professional practice. These people do not gloss over technology, they get down to the princples that make beautiful images as a disciplined craft. All this can be taught and built upon in the middle-years of primary, again in secondary and perhaps, if the interest is strong enough, used as a springboard into tertiary arts education. An arts education that concentrates more on digital technology and methodology may satisfy the market, but skipping over traditional skills in photography is a terrible error of judgement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because the film based photography class that was required in my major at the time is the reason I'm still doing film/analog photography today! And that was when I was in college from 2004-2008. I think they converted the class to all digital shortly after I left though. I always thought it was a shame. A few others from that class are now avid photographers because of that class, however I think I'm the only one who kept up with analog.

My major was in printing, so we also had to hand strip our film, and even do a few paste ups to shoot with a copy camera. Now they installed a CTP device, so all the kids have to do is send a file directly to plate.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edcculus View Post
    Because the film based photography class that was required in my major at the time is the reason I'm still doing film/analog photography today! And that was when I was in college from 2004-2008. I think they converted the class to all digital shortly after I left though. I always thought it was a shame. A few others from that class are now avid photographers because of that class, however I think I'm the only one who kept up with analog.

My major was in printing, so we also had to hand strip our film, and even do a few paste ups to shoot with a copy camera. Now they installed a CTP device, so all the kids have to do is send a file directly to plate.
    So young, fresh out of college and already part of an almost extinct species ... Welcome to the digital world ...

But: you know (and can do) something the real youngsters don't know anything about! So you still have the upper hand in my book!! Even commercially if you play it right.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    So young, fresh out of college and already part of an almost extinct species ... Welcome to the digital world ...

But: you know (and can do) something the real youngsters don't know anything about! So you still have the upper hand in my book!! Even commercially if you play it right.
    Yes, its been my real dream to make/own a business that focuses on the art and beauty of traditional printing methods and even photography. The rub is how to actually make it commercially viable when the rest of the industry is moving, or has moved to all digital direct to plate devices. Heck, I run a digital printing department! I don't want to just be another letterpress wedding invitation shop though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have yet to experience anything in digital photography that approaches the experience of watching a print develop in a tray.
    That's my number two reason for shooting film and printing darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    It's a fun, hands on activity.
    We spend way too much time on computers already.
    That's number one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I realy se no reason other than nostalgics and appreciating the evolution of photography,which provides a deepr understandingof the craft. we often pay too much attention on the craft and forget the art. I'd rather add Susan Sonntag to the cirriculum as mandatory reading.She understood the purpose of photography and its impact on society like no other.search for Susan Sonntag'on phothagraphy;she had a way with words,demanding a more mature audience.

Yes, I love the critics like Sonntag that could not even take a decent photo. All talk and nothing else.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin