Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,431   Online: 801

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    ................Though I would use standard epoxy-2-component cement.
    +2
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a fan of epoxies. They tend to get brittle when they're cured.
    Gorilla glue works well but I seem to get a residue on my delicate digits.
    Weather strip cement from the auto parts joint works very well. It's made to cement rubber to metal.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far I have not seen them turning brittle. Of course in case one needs elasticity they are no good choice.

Their Advantages

-) high strength

-) nice, smooth look

-) Long time to work on

-) low viscostiy when heated

-) relativelely easy to clean off from non-wicking surfaces if still uncured

Disadvantages:

Toxic, allergenic (both issues not brought up in the beginning of their DIY-use)

I'm in the process of changing my way of working: forced ventilation and gloves

Shooter
    Multi Format
    how about some sort of thin double sided self adhesive foam? I'm sure you could find something like that at a craft store. Same idea as the felt, is that its removable if you decide to change the focal length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There were a lot of answers to think about. This weekend I was able to use my gf's uncle's bench press and tools this holiday weekend when we went out of town. I was able drill the metal very nicely. And after checking the fit and a test exposure, I decided that it actually does a nice job baffling the light already. I was worried that light would seep in. So since its doing pretty well already and there isn't any true wood/glue solution, I decided not put any kind of glue. I'd rather not make things messier if I didn't have to. the fit is very snug, but since I'm anal, I'm going to thinly gaffer the inside. I appreciate all your input. Its probably better for me to just keep it simple

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Plasti-Dip (I think it is called) is great for sealing any light leaks you may have. I have used it myself on home made cameras and to seal pinholes in bellows.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    JB weld, any hardware or auto parts store. You can drill it, tap it, stress it, fill with it. It's opaque, too.

In any event, this is good stuff to have in the tool box.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    just came across this thread. there's a great website where you list two things you want to glue together and it makes some suggestions. check it out: http://www.thistothat.com/

Website

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin