Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

New to it. Need feedback.

This image was made with a 4x5 camera, 62mm f. lenght, 0,3mm ems aperture. Film is PanF 120 6x7, souped in Caffenol (which gave me this time a myriad of tiny black spots in the negative although this one is particularly clean). Neg wet scanned in Epson V700, no sharpening, just levels and gamma adjusting.
    I'm posting in another pinhole forum but not getting the feedback one's need to evolve.
    Please...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rio preto.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	91640

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent composition. So many people blow that part of the photo. Should make for a real nice print. The only thing I would address is that when you print it, I would burn in the sky area a LITTLE in the top left corner so that your eye doesn't follow out of the picture. Otherwise it's great. Perfectly balanced.

I see things like this and always think "oooh, I should try LF", But then I remember that I live in Florida, and the only place you see anything that even remotely resembles your shot is at the Treasure Island miniature goofy golf course on the beach drive. They DO have live 'gators, but it wouldn't be the same.
    Last edited by momus; 07-23-2014 at 09:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm puzzled why someone would go through the rigmarole of large format photography and wet scanning when cafenol is being used as a developer. Surely it's not an exact science and will only raise the wrong kinds of questions that could easily be answered by using any reasonably affordable, consistent developer and standardized process. I don't mean any of this in an ill manner, but really I don't get it. OK, if you're in it for experimentation and kicks, wouldn't a holga be more effective?

Nice picture btw ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I'm puzzled why someone would go through the rigmarole of large format photography and wet scanning when cafenol is being used as a developer.
    Just wait - jnanian will answer you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's the first time I get a weird result with caffenol. It´s pretty standardized to me. I use metrics, and a precision scale. The only mistery is the caffeic acid content in different coffee brands but the formula deal with that by the excess. But, yes, you´re right, the next time I try Pan F I'll be back to the good and old D76.
    Large Format as I see it, is just the same gimnastics as the Holga thing. Just bigger, analogic insanity.
    Thank you for your attention and suggestions guys.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    beautiful photograph !

hi ghostman ( thanks for the intro darko ! )
    i can see where you are coming from
    but caffenol works as well as any conventional developer out there
    i have read of users of d76 or other common film developers having
    trouble with their developers too
    the beautiful thing about caffenol is that it is easy to use, forgiving
    and the ingredients are a bit less harsh for the ecosystem than typical pyro, catechol,metol/hq developers.
    not to forget to mention, if you are stuck on a desert island with a roll of film to process, and all you have are instant coffee and your
    anti-scurvy pills you can easily process your film ( and stabilize it in seawater instead of normal/standard fix ) until civilization finds you
    i don't do wet scanning, but process everything from 35mm-8x10 in caffenol --- its a lot of fun

again, its not for everyone, but it works

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    beautiful photograph !

hi ghostman ( thanks for the intro darko ! )
    i can see where you are coming from
    but caffenol works as well as any conventional developer out there
    i have read of users of d76 or other common film developers having
    trouble with their developers too
    the beautiful thing about caffenol is that it is easy to use, forgiving
    and the ingredients are a bit less harsh for the ecosystem than typical pyro, catechol,metol/hq developers.
    not to forget to mention, if you are stuck on a desert island with a roll of film to process, and all you have are instant coffee and your
    anti-scurvy pills you can easily process your film ( and stabilize it in seawater instead of normal/standard fix ) until civilization finds you
    i don't do wet scanning, but process everything from 35mm-8x10 in caffenol --- its a lot of fun

again, its not for everyone, but it works

john
    Some food for thought, thank you.

I love serendipity as much as I love control. I can see myself experimenting with sustainable self methods for sure and become in some way self reliant when it comes to making pictures. I do appreciate all of the people out there who are willing to test seemingly unconventional methods. I will always have the need to make some kind of picture, if I need to use my beloved coffee and vitamin-c tablets to do so then I will. :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And this one is from a paper negative , Ilford MG RC Pearl, no filter, no pré flashing. Quite old, so some fog helped me with the contrast. I managed to ruin the composition tough. Curly borders marks are velcro loops used as sealing material. No scanning. Copied with a DSLR, then Photoshop and levels, gamma et coetera...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paper neg test2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	404.3 KB 
ID:	91645

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ricardo - your composition skills are fine. With pinhole all we can hope to do is point the camera in the right direction, and pray we are including/excluding all the features we want. I find my ability to judge gets better as I take more pinhole images, but I often manage to include too much sky or pavement, or cut off something I hoped to include.
    I'm not sure what your question is. At first it seemed to be about caffenol developers, and not really about pinhole photography. What are you unhappy about with your images, and how can we help you?
    silverlilly.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm quite happy ;-)
    But I don't think I'm nailing it. Yet. I had just build it and I'm wasting some film with it. I'd like to find what respond better to pinhole. Harsh light? Later hours of the day? Low key, high key. What films are you boys using it? It's about preferences, I know. But let me hear from you. This is the good thing about this place: lots of two cents coming from somewhere!
    Let me add: it looks like I'm trying to reproduce what I normally do with lenses. It seems that this is the wrong path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin