Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,584   Posts: 1,545,797   Online: 1087

Shooter
    35mm

Wooden Pinhole Camera Plans?

Hi all,

Would anyone have any plans or instructions on how to make a wooden pinhole camera? I don't mind what format, but preferably something I can find quite easily. I'll keep you all updated on how it's going if I manage to make it this week!

Thanks,

Lucas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, what I have is more of a concept than a do-it-yourself document, but there's a PDF file on my website and pictures of possibly more than you wanted to know in my PBase galleries. The camera uses a standard 4x5 filmholder. All of my lens-less efforts except for some stuff that just happened this week are accessible at the next level up.

A year or so back I expanded the concept to an 8x10 version, but filmholders are a bit brutal price-wise.

(I must have done a good job documenting the 8x10 -- a few months back a guy left a comment wanting to know "... where can i buy this kit camera.")

Hope that helps a little.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jon Grepstad has a site with pinhole photography, including links to information on several homemade view and pinhole cameras: http://home.online.no/~gjon/

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Look on Youtube. Search for 'build 4X5 pinhole camera' and there are a few that show up. Most presume moderately well equipped wood shop tools.

There is one titled "how to make a wooden pinhole camera", about 10 min. long that shows a fairly basic design that, if accurately made, can work well.
    Last edited by ciniframe; 07-26-2014 at 06:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically it is just a box with a pinhole on one side and a way to clamp a film holder on the other. Mine is made from a wooden cigar box.
    http://grahampatterson.home.comcast....ole/index.html
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    Basically it is just a box with a pinhole on one side and a way to clamp a film holder on the other. ...
    This nails it! I admit, as someone who has "made stuff" since early childhood, I can easily get a bit carried away with building stuff, but I sometimes suspect we over think these projects. As of a year or so back, the WPPD site allows pictures of the cameras used, as well as the results. You will see that there are near-infinite ways to get there, and most produce some sort of result.

It's also a question of what you want -- I posted this link once before: Saltine Thirteen. Yes I admit it used a bit zapper, but the technology is somewhat irrelevant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with a known pinhole size and a filmholder and worked from there. It was relatively easy math and didn't require any real difficult carpentry skills. I did have access to a table saw and a drill press which made it easier. My joints were reinforced and once I had it together, I used some DIY "Light Be Gone" to coat all the joints before paining the inside flat black. The DIY "Light Be Gone" was PVA glue and India ink.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you buy a Zen pinhole camera (available from my web site) you will have the basis of an idea for a perfect wooden pinhole camera design.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin