Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,082   Posts: 1,635,660   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

8x10 Camera Build.

I'm currently in the middle of an 8x10 pinhole camera build. I thought might be of interest to some. I also have a few ideas about how I'm going to complete the project I'm not sure of, one of which I'll lay out here, so I also welcome input from the peanut gallery.

Here's what it looks like right now:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	810sf.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	94429

If you're interested in seeing how I got to this point I'm keeping a bit of a running diary of the build at my blog so you can find details on the start of the project here, and get an idea of where things stand as of the time I'm writing these words here.

As you can see the camera incorporates a cone ala the Ilford-Harman Titan and I'm hoping to likewise make the cone interchangeable. For pure vanity reasons I'm also hoping to keep this as clean looking a possible. Currently there is a lip inside the main box of the camera that the cone just rests on. The standard way of mating two parts like this is to use they typical kind of metal clip used to mate lens boards and other parts in more standard LF cameras. I'm severely limited when it comes to fashioning metal parts, and in any case it seems an awkward solution given the angles at which everything meets. My thought then is to secure the cone to the body from the inside, but I'm not sure my current plan for doing so is all that sound.

What I'm thinking is this - currently the inside of the cone is lined with felt (very dark though I worry about fibers landing on the film) secured with a generous spread of carpenter's glue, and I've left this untrimmed at the base so that the felt hang down into the box. My thought is that I can attach one side of a Velcro strip to the felt which can be used to secure it to a strip of the mating side running just inside the lip it rests on in the camera thusly:

Name:	810va.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	94430

My main concerns are that this scheme may not allow the two parts to be held tightly enough together, or that they may loosen too much over time. It would be easy to avoid this situation by permanently attaching the two sections, giving up on interchangeability. A big part of the cone rationale was weight savings anyway (plus I like the way it looks). If anybody has other ideas though I'm all ears.
    - Joe Iannandrea

My film photography blog: The Golden Age of Silver

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking velcro before i read your idea. Put 2" wide velcro around the edges of your cones a d 3/4" or 1" on the body with the felt overlapping it. Craft stores sell sticky back felt sheets which may help too. Remember, light doesn't bend around corners
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Film photography? This term kills me. As if there's another kind!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I was thinking velcro before i read your idea. Put 2" wide velcro around the edges of your cones a d 3/4" or 1" on the body with the felt overlapping it. Craft stores sell sticky back felt sheets which may help too. Remember, light doesn't bend around corners
    Wider Velcro on the cones - there's one I hadn't thought of and it addresses some concerns I have with my plan. I had been thinking of attaching the Velcro right to the underside of the felt and using the strength of the felt to hold things in place and one of my concerns is that felt doesn't seem to be suited to that kind of task.
    - Joe Iannandrea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do like it!

Jeff

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Very nice project, thank you for posting it.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Mamiya C330f, Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting build. In your blog you said you might want something a little more elegent for the tripod socket. Skink makes one and if you do a search on eBay you will find it. A little pricey and I used one on my 8X10. Looks and works great. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eeek that's is a terrible lot of money for the SKink thing.

"teenuts" are about 1/20th the price - see my "LF Box" thread http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...-lf-box-4.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think you'll be getting into trouble going the velcro route: the condition of the felt will degrade every time you detach a cone and will cause strain on the glue. I also think the felt will stretch and not hold the cone to the back in a particularly secure manner. And then there is all that fibre to contend with. Instead, I would embed small rare earth magnets(such as you can find at Lee Valley) around the lip that the cone rests on. Then I would embed mating magnets or small steel tacks/nails in the bottom of the cone that comes in contact with the lip. I would then cover the lip/ledge with a good quality velvet ribbon and add a small pull tab or loop near the base of the cone as the magnetic seal with these magnets can be surprisingly strong. It is important that all your edges are flush to avoid light leaks. I've employed this strategy to clip film holders into the back of an 8x10 pinhole camera and it's been very effective.

Best of luck,
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do agree with Matt on this one. I think your felt will turn out to be more of a problem then its worth.

I have used a flat black paint along with black flocking in the past with excellent results.

Also, do use the magnets. They won't wear out over time.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the ideas about magnets Matt. Your thoughts about using felt as I've been planning pretty much describe why I was concerned about using it this way in the first place. I've been leaning towards the idea of attaching nylon straps to the cone instead of attaching the Velcro to the felt.The idea of using rare earth magnets might be even better though if I can come up with some sort of scheme to affix them. I'm having a hard time picturing how I'd arrange this though as the mating surface is only about 1/4" all the way around. This may require some thought.

Also I'm interested to hear a bit more on the arrangement you used to clip film holders to the back as this is the other area where I'm still tossing around ideas. The 4x5 project I built does this with a nylon strap/Velcro scheme but this project will have a nicer finish and I'm not keen on ruining it with stuck on Velcro strips on the outside.

This shot was taken fairly early in the construction, but it should give you a good idea of how the film holder will sit against the camera in case this helps.

Name:	810box1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	94482
    - Joe Iannandrea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin