Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,084   Online: 1074

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Kerik,

Are there any publications available pertaining to the safety cautions necessary in working in this process in the classroom environment?

As a former college photography instructor this was the initial lecture and handout which had to be signed and returned by each student before continuing to work in the darkroom even with "traditional" black and white chemistry.

Thanks
    Dave in Vegas

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most chemical manufacturers can supply you with an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet), or you can search at www.msdssearch.com
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten
    Kerik,

Are there any publications available pertaining to the safety cautions necessary in working in this process in the classroom environment?
    Hi Dave,

I don't know of anything specific to collodion in print, but I would suggest Googling "MSDS (insert name of chemical)" for any chemical that you're looking for hazard and handling information. (MSDS = Material Safetly Data Sheet). These documents list the physical, chemical and toxicity characteristics of chemicals and provide suggestions for proper handling, personal protective equipment, first aid procedures, etc.

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Nice pinhole photo!!

My 4x5 homemade pinhole camera has an aperture ratio of f/280 and it takes on average about 15-20 seconds to expose Ilford MGIVRC paper (iso=6) on a sunny 16 day. How does that compare to the speed of wetplates?

Thanks John. This was 4 minutes in bright sun. Collodion's ISO (if you will) is somewhere between .5 and 1 ISO - it all depends on age, mixture, etc.
    Regards,
    Quinn Jacobson
    Artist, Photographer, & Educator
    http://www.studioQ.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Quinn,

Cool! What is the f/stop of your pinplate camera? Also, I'd be interested to hear about your techniques for keeping the plate from drying too quickly. Love your work, BTW!!

Kerik

Hi Kerik,

Thanks for your kind words concerning my work.

F/STOP: I'm making an educated guess here: f/256 - f/384 - could be wider. My intial tests were at 15 mins and turned out to be good negative exposures - the Ambrotype exposures were between 4 - 6 mins. This is all in BRIGHT SUNNY weather.

KEEP THE PLATE WET: I wrap the back in a wet, cold cloth (insulating/almost freezing it), I keep the plate FLAT, collodion side up and I DO NOT wipe excess silver from the plate when pulling from the bath. Using all of these methods, I can go (easily) 15 minutes in the winter/cool weather.
    Regards,
    Quinn Jacobson
    Artist, Photographer, & Educator
    http://www.studioQ.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    KEEP THE PLATE WET: I wrap the back in a wet, cold cloth (insulating/almost freezing it), I keep the plate FLAT, collodion side up and I DO NOT wipe excess silver from the plate when pulling from the bath. Using all of these methods, I can go (easily) 15 minutes in the winter/cool weather.
    Quinn,

Thanks for the info!

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin