Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,317   Online: 952

Shooter
    Pinhole

some Kodak 35RF pinhole conversion 'snaps'

Murray

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aaaaaugh!! Please tell me that 35RF had either badly damaged glass or a completely unsalvageable rangefinder...!
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Aaaaaugh!! Please tell me that 35RF had either badly damaged glass or a completely unsalvageable rangefinder...!
    Hey Donald - it's a 35mm pinhole camera - an ex-rangefinder conversion complete with "Zippy the Pinhead" shutter. Wonder if he used a tripod?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Yeah, I guess it doesn't belong in the rangefinder group, oh, wait, I'm in the Pinhole forum right now.

Yes, Mr DQ, the glass looked like racoons had danced the Swan Lake ballet on it. I considered trying some Cerium Oxide to polish the front cell (uncoated). I don't remember exactly what made me drop that idea...I think I found something else wrong I think the rear cell had a problem too.

I couldn't get the leader of a roll of film to stay in the camera on (WPPD) Pinhole Day & ran out daylight so I spent time relocating the aperture to get rid the 'porthole' I had on the first implementation. Zippy was added in response to my wife sneering at the pinheads taking blurry pictures. I guess she's from the F32/F64 school. :O)
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, cerium probably wouldn't have solved the lens problem -- I've heard of one person correcting major scratches or fungus damage that way, but unless you have experience with optical polishing you're more likely to finish destroying the lens than fix it.

So, with the lens already toast, I'm not so concerned about converting a classic RF to pinhole -- it'll probably make images about as good as it would after the racoons finished their ballet.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Isn't that funny, I reject a lens as not good enuff then ooh & aah at a low res. image.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, but there's a big difference between a pinhole image that's uniformly unsharp at all reasonable distances but has good contrast, and one that's sharp within a narrow range but veiled with flare due to severe scratches and such. The pinhole shot looks intentional; the flare just looks bad.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin