Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,919   Online: 1113

Shooter
    Multi Format

house and garden pinholing

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,

For a 'school' assignment I am making a pinhole camera, and I like it so much that I became serious about it. To create the little hole we are adviced to cut the side out of a tin can and stick a needle of a certain diameter thruw it. After that we are supposed to make it smooth with fine sand paper...

This is probably okay but I wondered wheter some of you have other ideas to create such a tiny hole with equipment we all have at home.

Any suggestions would be great, cheers!
    Quinten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to this site:http://www.pinhole.com/

and then go to the links section. There is several sites listed that will provide you with all pinhole info you need. Specifically the oatmeal box camera link covers ways to make the pinhole.

Have fun. Here is another site that has a variety of pinhole work in the galleries. http://www.pinholeresource.com/pinhole.html
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main variation is, instead of sticking the needle through and then sanding off the burrs produced, simply dimple the material and sand through the dimple. This will generally produce a "better" hole -- rounder, more controllable size (stop sanding when its big enough), smoother, thinner edge -- and isn't much more work.

You can also buy laser drilled pinholes, or buy steel twist drills in sizes down to something like .010" (or 0.25 mm), or even use a battery, small capacitor, needle, and some wire to "blast" holes in foil with a spark.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Donald and Jim, those are some tips I am going to look into and try. Keeps me of the street for a bit

Have a great day!
    Quinten

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin