Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 955

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Why Pinhole Camera's ?

The actual Idea of making a pinhole camera appealed to me, so after having done some research, and also after browsing a large variety of images shot with pinhole cameras I ditched the idea, I probably am missing the point here but why on earth would people use a pinhole camera, certainly not for image quality I would think...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Go look at Martha Casanave's work at www.marthacasanave.com. She did a whole series of images alone the Monterey coast using her pinhole camera. They're quite wonderful. She and Ryuijie Douglas were here in Portland, Oregon for a workshop and the attendees just ate up her work and want her to come back for a pinhole/cyanotype workshop.
    To say "Why Pinhole?" is like saying why use Holgas? Why Platinum? Why color? It's a preference. Photography is not one way or another. It fun to experiment. To explore. We currently have the sharpest lens and the ability for the cleanest tonal images but sometimes its fun to outside the box and try something simple like pinhole and sometimes doing this opens another way of seeing an image or a whole series of images.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    To me, the idea of pinhole was that I could build it myself with basic raw materials, have a rugged camera that I could pack anywhere without fear of damage (it was cheap - if it's damaged, I could build another one) and then I could produce a very viewable image. It seemed to me to be the most result for the least technology - maximum personal enjoyment with maximum analog photography if you wish.

Somewhere I have pics of the box I built - I'll post them if I can find them

cheers eh?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also do things with pinhole that you can't with lenses. For instance, I have some negatives taken with the camera down on the ground, plants a few inches from the pinhole are about as (un)sharp as trees fifty feet away. There's no lens made (at least for "normal" perspective on 9x12 cm) that can approach that. Also, you can use very long exposures -- that sounds like a disadvantage, but there are things that you can say about a subject by making moving objects invisible, or cyclic or rotating objects show as streaks or circles. You can't stop the motion of a wave, but you can show the shore itself in spite of the surf, or you can record the overall impact and extent of the surf (as a sort of fog, growing in density as you near the average water surface) -- and its much easier to make images like this at f/300 than at f/32.

Finally, pinholes allow for curved and distorted, even anamorphic film shapes that can produce interesting or even startling effects from completely mundane scenes.
    Last edited by Donald Qualls; 09-17-2005 at 05:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Cornelius
    why on earth would people use a pinhole camera
    The novelty of using a camera without a lens.
    The link with the camera obscura.
    To enjoy the effects available, to name but three reasons !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    cause it is cheep and lots of fun to build a camera from scratch.
    the quality of the images ... some people hate the "everything in focus but nothing is sharp" made by minute apertures, some people love that stuff. i enjoy making images that have a dreamlike quality to them and that sort of thing is pretty easy to do with a pinhole camera.

I love the simplicity of the whole concept of pinhole imagery. I've made several cameras and even used an old 8x10 field camera as a pinhole camera with very good results. (I've also had some very poor results. There is a learning/practice curve.) I've taped simple cameras to pillars inside a large photo studio and made week-long exposures. Pinhole photography makes the concept of time very elastic.

The 8x10 images were made on film, and when contact printed, were amazingly sharp, especially at focal lengths of from 5 to 10 inches. The inherently low contrast allows a fairly astonishing compression of scene brightness ranges as well, especially with a pyro developer.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Because it is fun to build a pin hole camera from some box and have fun with the pictures you make. I have made some pin hole cameras from a round box with photo curved in there. Great distortion. Very funny stuff!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As with most things, because it is there.
    Too many Chiefs not enough Indians.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two years ago, I built some pinhole cameras. It was a great experience for me because it made me realize a few things.

1. It made me realize that a camera is really a very simple device.
    2. It made me realize that you don’t really need a high-price fancy electronic whiz to produce decent photographic images.
    3. It made me appreciate the technological advances photography has made.
    4. It made me realize that I have a personal preference for sharp images vs. the fuzzy artsy stuff.

I only wish I had experimented with pinhole cameras back during the days when I was shooting and developing a lot of black & white sheet film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin