Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,540   Online: 867

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Can Pinhole Cameras

I was bored this afternoon, so I thought it would be fun to make a pinhole from one of the many 35mm film cnas that I had ahgning around. So I made a small hole in the side witha thumtack, taped a piece of tinfol over as a shutter, and taped a piece of tinfoil in the front as a shutter, and put some Lucky SHD 100 (cut down from 120 format) inside. I exposed for 4 seconds - ish (was just a guess on my part). The image, once developed (5m 30s in D-76 at 21ºc, right in the can) and fixed was a quite thin (longer exposure next time), but surprisingly sharp, considering that it was taken with a film cat, with my knee as suport instead of a tripod.

Has anybody else tried this, or anything else cool for pinholes? I think that its amazing that decent (and sometimes absolutely incredible) pictures can be made with such unbelievably primative equipment.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We used to do this on occasion when I worked at the Daily News in my hometown. We'd roll up some paper cylinders and tape them to the sides to make legs and set them up like alarm clocks. We used print paper in them instead of film though.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann Hamilton did an entire series (Face to Face) of pinhole photographs using film cannisters, you can see more here: http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/hamilton/clip2.html

if you're looking for more pinhole information (camera making, viewing images, etc), may I suggest the f295 pinhole photography forum... f295.tompersinger.com

cheers!
    tp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's someone on Ebay who sells something called a Pancake lens with aperture settings up to f/64. Using one you can use your slr as a pinhole camera.

Not quite in the spirit of a film can pinhole, but interesting none the less.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy's find is really more of a simple lens than a pinhole, as is appears to have plastic or glass optics and apertures from f:5.6 to f:64. Still could be interesting. Some APUG sponsors sell a true pinhole made by Finney mounted in a lens cap. See http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_main.php?cat_id=2201

I assembled a pinhole lens cap with one from a set of 12 pinholes made by Eric Renner at the pinhole resource. www.pinholeresource.com I used one that gives about f:130. If you supply your own body cap it's a lot cheaper to buy the set, and it gives you sizes appropriate for MF and LF pinholes as well. Then in truer pinholing fashion, you could make your own pinhole and mount it in any body cap.

The attached is a body cap pinhole shot on 35mm film at about 29mm fl and f:130.

Lee
    Last edited by Lee L; 05-13-2008 at 11:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242

Has anybody else tried this, or anything else cool for pinholes? I think that its amazing that decent (and sometimes absolutely incredible) pictures can be made with such unbelievably primative equipment.

Any ideas?
    Yes, when I was studying A level photography. Our lecturer was Justin Quinnell who is pinhole mad. Amazing we all passed the exam really.

Use an alluminium can (easier to pierce than steel) and thin the area with fine wet and dry paper (600 grade is fine) where you want the hole to be. Use a sewing needle in a drilling motion with very little presure. When a bump appears inside your can rub down until a hole appears. About 1/3 mm is what you're aiming for.

The advantage of using a can is that you can use large format film and the film plane is curved giving wacky results. I have also used Cibachrome for colour prints.

Here's a good book 'Adventures with Pinhole and Home-made Cameras' by John Evans ISBN 2-88046-714-4

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The aluminum can is a good idea. The curved film plane does seem to give interesting results, from the two that I've shot, though I think it would be a much more pronnounced effect with larger format. It'll also be easier to load, as its a bit of a pain to line up a little piece of film with the pinhole in a 35mm can.

I'll grab some LF film or photo paper and try that. By the way, how did the pinhole prints on Cibachrome paper that you mentioned come out?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also the Pintoid camera.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the pintoids idea. Finally something to do with the Altoids tin that's occupied the space next to my mouse for the past week...

I'm also going to shoot some film in my plastic coffee can pinhole camera.

Maybe when (and if, very big if) I get my Autochrome plates working, I can shoot some of those.

If anyone hasn't been able to tell yet, I love shooting around ideas, which isn't a bad thing though. So here's another : has anyone ever tried UV or IR pinholing. The exposures I'd imagine would be LONG, but that'd be half of the fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    If anyone hasn't been able to tell yet, I love shooting around ideas, which isn't a bad thing though. So here's another : has anyone ever tried UV or IR pinholing. The exposures I'd imagine would be LONG, but that'd be half of the fun.
    If you like exploring ideas and techniques, then you should also look at slit photography and zone plate photography ...

jandc order just hit the front door. gotta go...

Lee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin