Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4x5 pinhole

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

4x5 matt board pinhole image

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Thanks, I'd be interested to see them.
    I posted this one made in my 37mm f128 matt board cam in the technical gallery; will post more as time permits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f128-mattboard-cam.jpg  

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
    The camera I made is a 37.5mm and that length works pretty well in terms of vignetting so long as conditions are moderately bright. I imagine at 10-15mm you won't be able to cover very much of the film plane. The real problem with the 37 is finding appropriate subjects. You need to be practically on top of what youre shooting to fill any significant amount of the frame . I'll scan a couple of images when i return from "upstate".
    Cheers
    Based on the results of my GumPintoids, which are 16 mm projection distance and nicely cover a 60 mm strip of 35 mm film (though there is visible fall off at the ends), I'd say you can probably get a three to three and a half inch diameter circular image with a very soft fade around the edge from a carefully made pinhole with this projection distance; probably about the shortest that will cover 4x5 into the corners (on flat film) would be around 30 mm -- and I tell you what, it is unbelievable just how wide these cameras are, yet with a flat film, there is NO distortion; straight lines are still straight throughout the image.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than about 60 mm for 4x5; you practically have to stick the camera in someone's face to avoid shooting their feet, even at that projection distance.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin