Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,582   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 pinhole

Shooter
    Multi Format

4x5 pinhole

I just obtained about 40 sheets of [free] sheet slide film. It is a combination of Kodak e100s and fuji provia.

I want to shoot this in a pinhole cam. but hte largest I have is for 120. Any suggestions / designs for building a 4x5 camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out the Leonardo series of pinhole cameras at pinholeresource.com You can easily make out the construction, and IIRC, there are plans in Eric Renner's excellent book on pinhole photography, available through that site. The 4x5 Leonardo cameras take regular filmholders and polaroid backs.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zero Image makes a 4X5 with a combination of various pinhole and zone plates. www.zeroimage.com should get you there if interested. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    The easy route:I have a lensless camera co. 75mm (wide angle) 4x5 that I love and it ran me about $60. The tougher route: I built an ultra wide 4x5 using layers of black matt board rubber cemented together, black cloth tape and black felt that takes standard and polaroid backs. I will search for the plans and let you know if I can find them. If not I can take a couple of digital pix monday and will be happy to walk you through it.
    The 4x5 negatives really print beautifully.
    Good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic
    I built an ultra wide 4x5 using layers of black matt board rubber cemented together, black cloth tape and black felt that takes standard and polaroid backs.
    That sounds interesting. How wide can you go with a pinhole? Theoretically as wide as you want, I suppose, but out of curiosity, how wide is practical? Could you make a usable photo with pinhole, say, 10mm or 15mm from the film on 4x5" or is the falloff too great to see anything in the corners?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    I just obtained about 40 sheets of [free] sheet slide film. It is a combination of Kodak e100s and fuji provia.

I want to shoot this in a pinhole cam. but hte largest I have is for 120. Any suggestions / designs for building a 4x5 camera?

Here's a link (it's not always up, but most of the time it is - it's served from my house) for a homemade pinhole camera. When I made this one I was using scraps of wood and bits of hardware that I had lying around. It's not pretty, but it's made some nice pictures. Just remember that the smaller the pinhole...the sharper the picture.

http://oldradio.ca:83/Photo/Tech/Fir...Pinhole01.html

cheers eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, John ... I have to say, that camera looks simple, but VERY nice. It's certinly much better than spending $60+ on a commercial one (which probably takes identical quality pictures). I'll have to grab some wood and try it.

Are you using premade pinholes or your own?

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242
    Wow, John ... I have to say, that camera looks simple, but VERY nice. It's certinly much better than spending $60+ on a commercial one (which probably takes identical quality pictures). I'll have to grab some wood and try it.

Are you using premade pinholes or your own?
    Thank you.

I should add that because you are using film, you NEED to be sure that the seal between the film holder and the camera body is light tight. With paper it's not quite so important as the speed is so low. Also, it does help in reducing internal reflections to either line the inside of the box with black felt or to paint it flat black (ask me how I know these things ).

As to the pinhole...I'm a tinkerer, so I had some 0.002" brass shim stock here. I also just happened to have a jewellers hand drill and some smaaaalll bits, so I drilled my own pinhole at a size of 0.020" (I think).

The next camera I make will be for 8"x??" for PlusXAero cut from a roll. It will be a very small pinhole and a long focal length and will have a radiused back so hopefully it will have no distortion of perspective amd should have a nice sharp image.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Just remember that the smaller the pinhole...the sharper the picture.
    True up to the point where a significant percentage of the light is diffracted by the pinhole edge and your system becomes diffraction limited and then starts to deteriorate with decreasing aperture size. Eric Renner (www.pinholeresource.com & author of Pinhole Photography ISBN 0-240-803507) has come across over 50 ways of calculating optimal pinhole size in his research. His own conclusion is that optimal size is near:
    aperture diameter in thousandths of inches = sqrt(55*focal length in inches)

The book is a very worthwhile purchase, and covers slit apertures, zone plates, and other related topics. There is a sequence of eight 4x5 shots at apertures from f:22 to f:288 that is instructive. There are also plans for a simple wooden camera that takes 4x5 filmholders, similar to the Leonardo boxes I pointed out earlier as examples of simple, functional construction that you could easily duplicate.

Very nice job on the camera John. Your design is similar to the Leonardo, which uses eccentrically mounted dowels to provide a cam-like action to hold the film holder in place. Other options are bars with rubber band or spring tension to grip the film holder. A bit of self adhesive felt or soft rubber sheet is a nice addition where the face of the film holder presses against the rabbet/rebate (depending on whose English you're speaking).

I'll check Renner and post if he has anything useful to say about angles of view. My recollection is that this is highly dependent on the pinhole, especially the thickness of the pinhole material, and can approach 180 degrees if you have a good pinhole and either don't mind the falloff or curve the film/paper.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a mighty small hand - drilled pinhole; good work.

I'm assuming that you discovered the need fot a good seal the hard way (we all do that), though thank's for pointing it out, as I don;t want to learn the hard way with 4x5 Ektachrome.

And flocking the inside with black paint is probably a real good idea; internal reflection does some odd stuff, though with some cameras (read: Holga), that can be cool. I'm more going for the high - qualiity pinhole end, so whatever can be done to improve the picture, I will do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin